Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Rattling sound coming from engine?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Default Rattling sound coming from engine?

Okay, so my car is still fairly new if you think about it. The car has only 24,500 miles on it, and it kind of been giving me problems. Before I got my last oil change, even though the engine was "saying" 10% oil life left, my oil light came on. I checked the oil and had very little oil left in the car. I quickly went to the first gas station and added a quart, but the closest they has was 5w-30. I figured, it didn't make much of a difference anyway. Even since my first oil change, I have been using synthetic. I've always used synthetic, and have had great results, so I buy Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic, and give it to my mechanic, he does an oil change for me and only supplied the oil filter. Last oil change, after adding a quart of oil, my mechanic pointed out to me that the engine is leaking oil...at 20,000 miles!!! Anyway, I took it to the dealer to have them check it out. After speaking to a couple of people who were trying to bs me, I spoke to someone that knew what they were talking about. He said the oil filter my mechanic is using is too large. I explained that I use sythetic, the oil leak, etc. He said, next time I do an oil change, just bring the oil to them and they will do it for me and check for any leaks at that time.

Now the problem I'm having is...every time the engine is between 5500rpm and the redline, the is a stupid rattle sound that comes from the engine! I have no idea what it is, but it's there, no matter what. Anybody ever experience something similar to this?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Default RE: Rattling sound coming from engine?

Sounds like lifters... If you have a timing chain, the guides may have broke and the chain is hitting the cover, but as of now, no one knows what kind of car we are working with.

You would probably get more help if you had the year, style, engine type in your sig or in the post.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:32 PM

sorry, I thought I did...is this better?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:31 PM

Okay, went to the dealer today, after I took a ride with the "mechanic" and he finally heard the problem loud and clear, he said I'll take another look at it. Then after a little while of checking everything, he said, it the VTEC...??? I said to them, there is NO way this is normal, my friend has the exact same car and this does not happen to him, and this did not happen before either. They said the car has no safety concerns, so you should be fine! WTF is this stupid rattling sound coming from a brand new car's engine?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

That engine has a timing chain, not a belt. That can possible be rattling. Have them take off the valve cover & look around.

Your first post sounds like you were relying on the oil life monitor & youwere surprised when your oil was low.[sm=nono.gif]

The oil-life monitor ONLY estimates oil life based on miles, hours, number of cold starts, etc. It keeps track of how youuse the car.

The oil life monitor DOES NOT ACTUALLY MEASURE THE OIL. So if you were to remove 3 quarts of oil, it would continue to count up hours, rpms, & it would not know anything was wrong.