Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Remote starter question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:07 AM
DC1111
Unregistered
Default Remote starter question

So I'm thinking about getting a remote starter installed.... few questions
To start, I have an 09 EX-L V6 Accord

Any recommendations on brands?
A lot of my friends recommend Compustar but I can't find any local dealers in my area that carry compustar and I did call the dealers listed on their website near my area. Since I can't find any Compustar near my area, I'm thinking about getting Viper...

Any other recommendations regarding brands?

As far as security system, the Accord has a security system already, should I just get a remote start with security or just a remote start? Pros/cons?

The other thing is, the factory remote/key has the window roll down, trunk release already, panic button along with the lock and unlock. I don't want to disable those if I get a remote start installed. Can anyone verify if I install a remote start that the factory remote will not interfer with that?

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Default RE: Remote starter question

I know someone that got an 08 Accord and he got his car starter installed though the dealer. It gets tricky with modern day cars b/c they have "laser-cut keys" to put in Gone in 60 Seconds terms. I had a compustar on my Corolla, and it was awesome, the only starter with a pager, long distance, and would also work with with a stick! It was awesome! When I got my BMW and installed a Viper alarm, I asked the guy about a Compustar alarm/starter, and he said he would have to disable the key, so it would almost make the car easier to steal b/c you wouldn't need the key anymore. I would call up some local places and ask them what they recommend. I believe technology has now gone further than the information in this email, or another bet with really helpful people is Crutchfield.com. A nationwide company, I've bought so much car stuff from them and they have always been very helpful. Enjoy your new ride!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have a Clifford Matrix RSX 12.5 and its great, but not remote start for my manual tranny .

A few things to consider:

- Compustar is a great brand, but Viper and Clifford are just as good.
- Viper and Clifford are both made by Directed Electronics, so a lot of the Clifford units are rebadged Vipers, and half the cost.
- The only benefits of getting the alarm and remote starter in one are a) only one remote on your keychain and b) 2-way paging.
- You can probably keep the trunk opener, I know my Clifford has the option, I just dont have the popper for the trunk.
- Aftermarket alarms has a panic button as well.
- You may lose the windown up/down function. Is that a button on the remote or is it just you turn the key and hold it to roll windows up or down?
- If you install it yourself you will most likely void the remote starters warranty.

My dad also had a Astrostart on his 01 Dodge Dakota and it worked great. It kept the factory alarm, but added remote start and got rid of the original remote.

I'd find a car audio/alarm shop and talk to them personally since they know a heck of a lot more about it than I do.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:31 AM
DC1111
Unregistered

Thanks for the info guys.

As far as some of the questions, my key already has the built in remote so even if I only wanted 1 remote on my keychain, the key will have it at all times.

the window roll down feature is built into the remote. press unlock once, press unlock again and hold.... then it will automatically roll down the windows. My main thing is, I don't want anything on my factory remote disabled or interfered with.

I am going to have someone at the dealership install the starter once I finally make up my mind.

And right now, i'm leaning towards just a remote starter with NO security.....

Old 12-22-2008, 11:48 AM

a) Call Honda and/or Viper to see if they have something for you.

b) You may still void the warranty if the dealer installs it. Cliffor was very specific in the manual that a Clifford authorized installer had to do the work and print a certificate for you, anything else and the warranty was void.

c) I'd go with security over remote start any day. You live in Chicago, do you park on the street or underground/ramp? More than likely, you can get a remote starter/alarm that piggybacks onto the factory alarm. But then again, its a new car so I'd call the manufacturer.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:17 PM
DC1111
Unregistered

great....
so I called Honda, they said that you can install anything and as long as the install isn't botched, then I should still have warranty. If the install is botched, then whoever installed it will have to cover warranty.

I called the dealership that I was going to have this installed yet, they install the Audiovox Pro9775 remote starter but I'm not interested in that one and asked if I brought in a Viper 5701, how much would they charge... They said they can't since they don't want to be liable for it.

I kinda don't really want to bring it into Best Buy to install since I don't want some high school or college part timer messing around in my car.....

Old 12-22-2008, 01:20 PM

Just to clarify the warranty issue: If a certified installer doesnt install the starter, the starter warranty is void not the cars. However, if they install it and fry something in the car, it's the installers fault, Honda or the alarm shop.

Find a Viper shop that will install it...

Old 12-22-2008, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: DC1111

great....
so I called Honda, they said that you can install anything and as long as the install isn't botched, then I should still have warranty. If the install is botched, then whoever installed it will have to cover warranty.

I called the dealership that I was going to have this installed yet, they install the Audiovox Pro9775 remote starter but I'm not interested in that one and asked if I brought in a Viper 5701, how much would they charge... They said they can't since they don't want to be liable for it.

I kinda don't really want to bring it into Best Buy to install since I don't want some high school or college part timer messing around in my car.....
Not sure where you live, but in my area, there are plenty of small shops thatspecialize inthis type of work. BTW, I had a stereo put in my Corolla at Best buy and they did a good job. The whole process depends on who you get anyway...

Old 12-22-2008, 01:54 PM
DC1111
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: mihalis

ORIGINAL: DC1111

great....

Not sure where you live, but in my area, there are plenty of small shops thatspecialize inthis type of work. BTW, I had a stereo put in my Corolla at Best buy and they did a good job. The whole process depends on who you get anyway...
I live in the suburbs of Chicago and I used to work at best buy so... i kinda know how some of those guys are....

Old 12-22-2008, 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: DC111
I used to work at best buy so... i kinda know how some of those guys are....
haha, getting things installed at best buy = biggest mistake ever!