Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Shifting with an automatic....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Default RE: Shifting with an automatic....

theres not even a true clutch... in a auto... there are clutch packs... that are lubricated with ATF they engage with hydrolic power and lets just say that they enage quickly... in a properly working auto there shouldent seriously be any wear no matter where u shift at... and shifting 1 2 then d3 is no different than what ur tranny would do normaly... it actualy creates more line pressure to shift better in those low gears... so yeh dont worry about ur tranny unless ur having serious problems...

Old 04-11-2007, 02:32 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Not being sarcasm here, so what's your saying is if I manually shift gears (oh the irony), it'll take less tension off the engine? Hot diggity dog!

So technically, there's no flywheel clutch in an auto...I will await the auto that shifts in 0.0001 second...how sweet would that be....

Old 04-11-2007, 08:21 AM

its not less stress on the engine... there transmission actualy strengthens itself it has a extra band and a roller clutch designed just to take the extra power that its about to be apply with...

and no theres no clutch in a automatic and yes they can shift faster than any human on earth could ever think of... trannys have torque converters just FYI

Old 04-11-2007, 11:03 AM

then whats the hype about manuals? I have a 5 speed automatic...which is the same amount of gears as most manuals.

the tranny strengthens itself when I shift manually? Sweet.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 PM

The hype behind manual is most people think the car is much more fun to drive. I had a 5spd 5.0 Mustang when I was 16. Some lady ran a red light and I totaled it. Then I got an auto 5.0 because I couldn't find another decent 5spd at a decent price (and the auto was a convertible.) Drove the auto for about 6 years and regretted every bit of it. To me an auto just isn't fun. I still have the auto (it has about 170k miles) and it will still smoke a whole lot of other cars on the road.Especially if you are doing about 50 and you stomp it to pass somebody.. the tranny throws it into 2nd gear and you getslammed back into the seat.
I just think a manual is 10 times more fun to drive, whether it is faster than an auto or not. There's nothing like driving on a curvy back road in a manual. Down shifting in turns for more power, upshifting, downshifting again. Can't beat it in my opinion. I will probably never buy another auto if I can help it. Unless I get a bullcrap family car when I have like 2 kids (1st one is on the way.) But I will NEVER...EVER buy a minivan! My wife even despises them!

Old 04-11-2007, 02:22 PM

I got in an arguement about this a while back, for the most part i was wrong in it cause i never heard any information on it and i went based on what i was use to. Ulitmately the auto is computer controled you have the benifit that no manuel driver has, when youre in d4 and drop it into first you wont kill your engine. It is purely based on the quality of the transmission for what it can take and if theres something wrong with it to begin with it wont be able to take a whole lot anyways.
The best example is paddle shifters.A car with a paddleshifter is still an automatic transmission, the difference is its just taking an electronic signal saying shift. About the only things that will screw up your transmission are neutral drops, wreaks, faulty TCU,and too much HP. You cant really over rev with autos cause it wont shift down when its outside of its power band. Behold the power of the computer controled tranmission.

I forgot to add oil thats too thick or too thin, and shifting into reverse while moving forward, and fluffy kittens

Old 04-11-2007, 10:10 PM

What about shifting into PARK while moving forward? One of my buddies was drunk a few years back and was riding in the passenger side of my Auto Mustang and did that to me when I was doing about 50 MPH [sm=icon_beat.gif]
Surprisingly, it didn't hurt the tranny. I couldn't believe it! I almost killedHIM though.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:34 PM

Well, I did try shifting between 1 2 D3 and D (5).

It basically became a manual....the sound, the jerk, etc. etc.

But I dunno, as much as I love driving stick shift...having an auto allows me to multi-task and not worry about shifting in the city.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 PM

im not sure... but i dont think shifting into park would ruin the transmission putting it into park for the transmission is the same as putting it into N its just park also has the whole wheel lock thing.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:17 PM

umm if im correct i read my manual a while back and recall it saying the tranny can be shifted from 1-D4 and D4-1.and i got a 02 accord 4cyl

Quick Reply: Shifting with an automatic....