Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Shifting with an automatic....

Old 04-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Default RE: Shifting with an automatic....

manual... solid clutch solid connection between engine and tires no liquid coupling or planetary gear sets... no power sucking oil pump so more power goes to the ground...

Auto... Liquid coupling threw a torque converter... sets of planetary gears provide gear reduction... clutches and bands provide drive driven and held members for the planetary gears... power sucking oil pump needed to drive the tranny...

manuals are funner and get better gasmileage because of less paracitic draw on the engine... autos are easyer and sadly most women find them more enjoyable to drive... mmm woman that can use a stick know the way strait to my heart!

A manual tranny is always strengthened because well its always solid... a automatic applys more clutches and extra bands to strengthen itself for the small ammount of added stress that is about to be added to it...

Old 04-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 2002haccord

umm if im correct i read my manual a while back and recall it saying the tranny can be shifted from 1-D4 and D4-1.and i got a 02 accord 4cyl
and this is suppose to be in reference to whos comment?

Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 PM

Women probably drive autos because they can put on makeup, drink coffee, and do other various acts while not worrying about shifting. That's my guess. I've seen women drive with their feet...I got off the next exit.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:20 AM

I'm just going to say what I know... there is nothing wrong with shifting up from 1 - d4 but shifting down can be bad for the transmission computer as you are telling it to do something that it would do by itself if it needed to and are basically screwing up the system. As for going into park while moving, that will rip out your transmission... never do it again...

Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 AM

Lol....I need to see how good my auto shifting skills are....im gonna time it against a manual.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:43 AM

Except if you go from 1 to 2 in an auto its not going to instantly change... its not like you're shifting it, you're just giving the automatic computer the option to change gear. So as soon as the auto feels the time is right it'll change... its not like a tip-tronic, you're not controlling the car, you're just giving it more options or less options. You'd probably even slow it down shifting it yourself because it'll hold gear while the computer is processing... probably bad for your engine to hold high revs that long as well.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:11 AM

sssexy no... shifting down is just as easy on the tranny as shifting up from 1... theres no difference... it barely even talks to the computer it just actuates a manual valve that directs flow of oil to the 2-1 band (extra holding band for low gears) and locks the 3rd clutch into gear (3rd gear is for engine braking)

Old 04-13-2007, 03:35 PM

side note, im pretty sure that tiptronic is a computer controlled thing as well

Old 04-13-2007, 03:49 PM

It is, but it requires your input... it'll change depending on what you do

Old 04-13-2007, 06:25 PM

but it doesnt make it any less of an automatic because its still using a torque converter, if you have that happy little torque converter it changes the rules purely based on the fact you have to rely on the computer to do the shifting for you, tiptronic is just one of those things that provide the illusion of having a manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting with an automatic....