Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

spark plugs and wires??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Default RE: spark plugs and wires??

how do i take the aprak plugs out? i pulled the wire thing out and i see the spark plug in the hole. what kind of tools do i need to take to out and put news ones on?? thanks

Old 05-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Default RE: spark plugs and wires??

ORIGINAL: Honda_Dude

how do i take the aprak plugs out? i pulled the wire thing out and i see the spark plug in the hole. what kind of tools do i need to take to out and put news ones on?? thanks
Your kidding right? If not I'm just going to have to strip the "Super member" status away from you. [sm=smiley23.gif]

You need to get a 3/8" ratchet, extension for the 3/8" ratchet, and a 5/8" spark plug socket, magnetic extension tool, and spark plug gap tool. Put the spark plug socket on the end of the extension. Put the extension on the end of the ratchet.

Put the end of the socket on the spark plug in question and turn counterclockwise. I use the magnetic extension tool to get the spark plug out since my socket doesn't seem to hold on to the plug.

When installing the new spark plug make sure gap is where you want it. I started using 0.030" as an experiment as described in http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/tips.htm. [sm=chattypair.gif]

Make sure that you put some anti-seize lubricant on the end of the spark plug threads before installing and don't tighten very much at all (~15 ft-lbs). Also be sure to put some dielectric grease on the tip of the spark plug (or inside of spark plug boot) so that boot comes off easily next time.

If you really want a spark plug challenge try changing the spark plugs in a Ford E350 van or a Ford 2.3L Ranger (2 plugs per cylinder). It took me about 6 hours to change them in the E350 and about 2 hours on the Ranger.[sm=bangbang.gif]