Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Steering Wheel Locked and Engine clicking but no TURN OVER!

Old 10-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Steering Wheel Locked and Engine clicking but no TURN OVER!

Hey guys, I really need help. I have a 2006 Honda Accord Coupe. I left the music on while I was waxing my car (but not the engine). After I was done, I tried turning on the engine but it won't turn over. It just cranks, and the dashboard and GPS blinks on/off. And I turned the steering wheel to the right so it's stuck there now. The steering wheel seems "locked" and my front wheels are turning right.

The lights inside the car seem a little darker than usual and the honk it makes from pressing the lock button twice seems quieter. Is my battery low or is there another problem?

Old 10-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Low battery can cause lots of problems. Charge battery and see if problems are resolved.

good luck

Old 10-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks TeaxsHonda for the quick response. The battery was the problem. I jump started and engine turns over now.

Do I need to have my battery checked/replaced? Or can I continue to use my current battery without any problem?

Old 10-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Administrator
Talking No no no !

Originally Posted by L2_DJ View Post
Thanks TeaxsHonda for the quick response. The battery was the problem. I jump started and engine turns over now.

Do I need to have my battery checked/replaced? Or can I continue to use my current battery without any problem?
Go to AutoZone or Advance or O'reilys and have them do a Free battery and charging check..Don't take those chances..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the recommendation WheelBrokerAng. Autozone checked my battery and they said I need to recharge it. What's the difference between recharging a battery and having to replace it because it's dead?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

The difference is whether it will accept a charge & then go on working correctly. Their test "should have" been able to tell the difference. You'd think if they had any reason, they would've tried to sell you a new battery.

Sometimes running a battery down thoroughly dead, will shorten its lifespan. So even if it takes a charge & keeps working, be aware of slower cranking or other things.

Is it the kind of battery with caps? Check the level of fluid, and add distilled water if needed. If one cell is much lower than all the others, that's another suspicious thing.