General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Drilling ignition lock cylinder / steering wheel locked

Old 02-09-2013, 03:24 AM
Question Drilling ignition lock cylinder / steering wheel locked

Vehicle: 1993 Honda Accord LX

Hey guys,

My ignition seized up about a week ago , key will not turn from 0 position.
I tried almost everthing… from getting a new key from the dealer, lubing the key, WD-40, putting the car in neutral, tapping the key with a mallet, etc etc. Well In desperation, I turned the wheel L to R and managed to lock the steering wheel as well (locked to the left) Not too smart of me.

I’ve decided to drill at the tumblers in order to get the ignition to turn and replace the ignition cylinder w/ a new one….so here’s where I need help. Where exactly do I drill and how far? Actually I should probably first be asking: will the steering wheel lock disable itself once i destroy the tumblers & turn the ignition or must I disable the steering lock 1st

Old 02-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

How about removing the lock and switch as one unit?

There are two shear bolts that can be removed......drill them out, cut a slot then use a screw driver, a few other methods as well. Then remove the entire thing?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
How about removing the lock and switch as one unit?

There are two shear bolts that can be removed......drill them out, cut a slot then use a screw driver, a few other methods as well. Then remove the entire thing?
Just so I'm clear...would I then have to buy and replace the entire assembly? and wouldn't the lock cylinder still be attached by the retaining pin?

Old 02-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

No you do not have to replace the whole thing. The key switch will come out of the body...new key switch into old body and re-install.

If you drill the two bolts you will need to take the old ones to the store and buy two new metric bolts.

The steer lock is actually part of the switch body....so having the whole thing out releases the steer lock.

This is the best pic I have of the entire unit. The red shows where the shear bolts go, the yellow is the steer lock.

If you want to drill thru the tumblers.....have at it. I'm just thinking this is going to be so much easier with the entire body out of the car.

Either way, let us know how it goes.....a few pic's of the process would be nice as well.

Attached Thumbnails Drilling ignition lock cylinder / steering wheel locked-5th-gen-ign-lock-key-switch.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 02-09-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: helps if you add the pic :(
Old 02-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Is this an automatic or manual transmission?

Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Here are instructions to replace the lock cylinder for a manual transmission. You can also just remove the steering lock assembly.

Lock cylinder replacement (M/T)

For automatic transmission, the S/M states to replace the steering lock assembly.

These other instructions are to replace the steering lock:
Steering lock replacement

There is no need to drill out the shear bolts, a center punch or cold chisel and a hammer will turn them out in seconds. I removed shears bolts easily that way.

This link has some info.
How to replace the ignition switch or troubleshoot (Honda, Acura)

In this video, the guy just used a flat-head screwdriver and hammer.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the replies...
this is wat me and my buddy have done by drilling

where red arrow points is that the lock bar that once removed will allow the ignition to turn? or have we f'd up and drilled too far?? the screwdriver shows how far back we've drilled.

@Redbull the car is automatic...i thought the lock cylinder was removed just as the Manual Trans method shows

i haven't removed the steering wheel just the steering column housing. i thought i had to remove the screw (took off with pliers since wiper is in the way) poke pin with allen key....will this work or is the Automatic method u said the correct way