General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

|Troubleshooting| - Clutch Issues and Light Yellow Fluid

Old 02-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Default |Troubleshooting| - Clutch Issues and Light Yellow Fluid

Hey guys, I've been noticing some small issues with my 2000 Accord and thought that this would be a great place to start.

Here's my car:

Name:  4YZ7m.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  112.5 KB

It's got 184k miles and it has been problem free since my father bought it new. Very recently (the past ~500 miles) I have noticed the clutch goes soft after a moderate amount of city driving. At one point the clutch stuck to the floor and I had to pull it up with my foot before being able to drive away from a stoplight. From what I've read this is a failing clutch master cylinder.

I've also noticed some difficulty at times getting into gear which leads me to believe that the clutch isn't completely dis-engaging when I depress the pedal which is a further indication of this.

Anyway, today I backed my car up after clearing it of snow and noticed a small amount of a light yellow fluid up and down where I backed my car out and in. Could this be related to the clutch issue?

ps.. I was helping a friend get out of the snow too and his Buick Rendezvous had a small amount of the same fluid leaking too.. Could it just be from the cold starts?

Thanks all!

Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

From your description, it sounds like your clutch hydraulics are the problem. How is the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder?

The leak may or may not be relevant. Under what part of the car are you getting this leak?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Clutch problem might just need to bleed the clutch. Has the clutch fluid reservoir ever gone empty? How old is the clutch fluid? Brake fluid (used in clutch too) absorbs moisture from the air & gets corrosive. Should be replaced with fresh every couple years.

Exact location of the lead would help.