General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow Check engine light and maintanence question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Yellow Check engine light and maintanence question

I have a 1993 Honda Accord ex-r and the yellow check engine light has been coming on while driving down the highway. It only comes on after driving for awhile down the highway. In the city it never comes on.

I have also noticed that it has a hard time starting from time to time, where it seems to get flooded and I have to hold the pedal to the floor to get it to run.

The only maintenance I do to the car is change the engine and tranny oil on a regular basis. Maybe I should start doing some other maintenance instead of just waiting for something to break down.

Any ideas on what might be causing the check engine light to come on? Why the hard starts sometimes? O2 sensor?

What are some good maintenance things to do? Spark plugs? I don't think I would want to attempt a timing belt change, even though it probably needs it.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Administrator
Talking ** Taken Out Of Our Very Own Search Engine Thread**

Originally Posted by crashdummie
I have a 1993 Honda Accord ex-r and the yellow check engine light has been coming on while driving down the highway. It only comes on after driving for awhile down the highway. In the city it never comes on.

I have also noticed that it has a hard time starting from time to time, where it seems to get flooded and I have to hold the pedal to the floor to get it to run.

The only maintenance I do to the car is change the engine and tranny oil on a regular basis. Maybe I should start doing some other maintenance instead of just waiting for something to break down.

Any ideas on what might be causing the check engine light to come on? Why the hard starts sometimes? O2 sensor?

What are some good maintenance things to do? Spark plugs? I don't think I would want to attempt a timing belt change, even though it probably needs it.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Take a look at this link from our own site here..

WheelBrokerAng

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ht+1993+accord

Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

In that link from Ang, there is a "how to get codes" for this generation (4th gen) car. All you need is a paper clip/jumper wire to get the codes.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks,

There's one problem. How can I check the code if the light only comes on once and awhile? I guess I'll just have to check it when it comes up again.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

That code is stored in the engine computer, so you can check for code(s) now.

Post the codes you get on here.

To erase codes, you remove the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute. If you get more than one code, you can clear the codes, then drive until the CEL turns on again and check for the current code.