General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 honda accord maintanence question

Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Default 2008 honda accord maintanence question

Hello to all on the site. My name is Wade and I am new here. I had a really important question I hope someone could answer. Its regarding my leased 2008 honda accord. I did the first scheduled maintenece a while back at the Honda dealer and Im way past due for having the intermediate service done. I have been driving the car around like normal and it hasn't shown signs of wearing down and I get the oil changes routinely. My car right now is at about 43,XXX miles and Im scared to keep driving it because I have not yet done the maintanence (because it's very expensive for me at this time) and the service department at the dealer says is way past due. Is there any alternative to get the car checked out and fixed that would be least expensive. What do they check for in the intermediate service?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know what should be done for the intermediate maintenance.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Almost A Senior Member

What are you saying needs done? My wife just handed in a lease (Nissan) and we did nothing other than the oil for 2.5 years. It was 2.5 years because Honda bought her out of the lease at that time. Don't fall for them telling you it needs all kinds of expensive stuff done.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Technically, there is no intermediate service for the 8th gen Accord. When you go into the dealer, if you request the intermediate service, they will do what is on their standard list; but, this does not necessarily correspond to the recommended services for your specific car.

The recommended maintenance should be based on the maintenance minder or time intervals; refer to your owner's manual and the service records book that should have been given when you got the car. When you press the trip meter button on the instrument panel, if there is recommended service, there will be codes to the left of the oil life indicator. For example, code B1, B2, etc. The owner's manual/service record book will indicate what needs to be serviced. Additionally, certain things such as brake fluid, etc. should be changed based on time intervals; for example, every 3 years as indicated in the owner's manual.

There are dealers that will only do what is specify for your car instead of an "intermediate service" which is a generic term nowadays. The newer Hondas actually can go longer before certain services are needed.

So to recap, read your owner's manual and talk to a couple of dealers regarding the recommended service and pricing. Being informed will prevent paying for unnecessary service.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

As you pile up the miles, the services are mostly inspections. But maybe you need fresh brake fluid, that goes every couple years or maybe 40k or 50k miles (check maintenance schedule in owner's manual package).

Brake pads inspection. They don't put any specific miles on replacing the brakes, because that depends very very strongly on your driving habits. Some people can go a long time on brake pads, others need em 20k miles. So it's listed as an inspection & replace if they're thinner than spec. (2mm?)