Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Suggestions on where to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Suggestions on where to start

I got a 1994 Accord EX 2.2L VTEC a few months back and I have had to do some repairs. I have replaced the master brake cylinder, new battery, and am in the process of putting in a new radiator, hoses, thermostat, and a fuel filter. I want to slowly keep doing work on this car, interior, exterior, and under the hood. Besides the forced repairs that I have to do, wheres a good place to start modding the car and what directions should I move. I was thinking about starting with an intake and moving through the process of how the engine works, for example, intake, throttle body, intake manifold, fuel pump, filter, fuel rails and just move on through. Any suggestions?

Old 08-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Supper Moderator
Talking

everything sounds fine your doing but there is no need for a upgraded fuel rail. You only get one of thos when you are making serious power. Even lot of boosted guys even use stock fuel rails. Honestly if you wanna do it right and gain the most power out of your engine. Don’t do what everyone else does and get a exhaust and intake. In theory it sound like you will gain ALOT of power...wrong You gain AT MOST 6hp without a tune....and that’s with intake AND exhaust done. Look into bisimoto cam shaft and a custom header. Right there you will see gains up around the 30hp range without a tune. With a tune you will see better numbers. I break it down if you...

Originally Posted by g22cd5
Get in contact with bisimoto. This is his website www . bisimoto . com
It will run you about 600-700bucks( and you will be on a waiting list he makes them per order). But when you look at the cash to power ratio its very very good. This is why...if you by a good name brand intake let’s just go with AEM on the low side you will spend 175bucks high side around 300-400bucks. So let’s make a even braking point let’s say $250 for a intake. Then you look at exhaust...a cat back if you go with a good name brand will spend min around 200-300bucks. So les just go with 250bucks for now....then plus a muffler lest just say 50bucks. You are already at $500 for intake and exhaust and you have gained AT THE MOST 10hp(and thats with a tune. with out a tune your lookin at MAYBE 6-7hp gain MAYBE)!!! For another 100bucks or so you can gain double the hp - 26hp(this is untuned btw...you will see more gains with a tune) and about hr or two worth of work. IMO from what I have done and seen your better off going with a really good name brand header like bisi or RMF or Kid Racing and getting a good cam(s) that is where you will yield the most power. Most ppl just get intake and exhaust to be like everyone else. To be loud and have something to show under the hood (I was even like that when I started with hondas everyone does) But what sounds better walking on other cars with full OEM exhaust and intake?? I mean ppl would be like WTF? how did you beat me? Well you beat them b/c you where smart and bought the right power adders for your honda unlike Joe Smow who did what everyone else does. See what I mean? I hope this helps you out with your future purchase of parts for your honda

-Ryan

Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Supper Moderator

I'm not saying intakes and exhausts are bad. They just aren’t really necessary until you upgrade other things like the cam(s) and exhaust mani. You yield more power this way for roughly the same amount of money.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

LOL!! Awesome post man, thanks! Joe Schmow, I love it. Alright well, lets say I go with some headers your talking about here, can you explain a little more about the cams in terms of upgrading and their relationship to the affect it has with the VTEC?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:46 AM
Supper Moderator

Well SOHC vtec isn’t really designed for "performance" per say. They more or less made that engine for fuel economy. Do you know how vtec works??...I’m gonna assume you do (if not I will fill you in) well with SOHC vtec works at lower RPMs vs. DHOC works at higher RPMs. SOHC vtec ONLY opens up the intake valves more when vtec is engaged vs. DOHC both sets of intake and exhaust valves opened for the added power. When vtec kicks in SOHC one intake valves opened up all the way and the 2nd intake valve is only open part way o create a "swirl" effect for better atomization to burn the fuel more efficiently. As the DOHC just rips open both sets of valves for a screaming good time!

So I’m not 100% sure how the upgraded cam will do with SOHC vtec. Bu I’m sure they have improved vtec a bit with a more aggressive cam. I’m not a fan of SOHC vtec I think if it’s gonna be SOHC it should be non vtec but that’s just me. I’m a cb7 man so I’m a huge believer in the f22ax engines...not so much the f22b1/2 engines

Last edited by g22cd5; 08-09-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Good post and explanation there G22's.