Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

tranny slow death...I dont want it to die...help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Default tranny slow death...I dont want it to die...help

Where is this h4a link that evrrone is talking about ....I cant find it..did someone take it down...im trying to find out what wtf is going on with my 91 accord. No accekLeration even flowing it...then on three occations im on d4 and the rpm fly throuh the roof and I loose power... the speed drops down to about 20mpr when I can notice some accelertion. Inpull ovet and notice there is no reverse. No d4...no d3..just the 2 gives me the power to go forward. I get home slowly and worry the night...next morning I try again and its almost back to normal...slow as hell but moving...gears engaging like thier supposed to...but this didnt last to long....im at a light on d4 with my footb on the pedal and I get these three sudden short bursts of thrusts forward ...ahd I loose power again...I quickly drop it into 2 to get going and out of traffics way.....I made my back home. I had read on another forum to give a transmission a look at the fluids... it was kinda low and smelt kind burned. The tranny got drained and the fluids replaced......it worked for two days then same problem again..now im looking into maybe the tcu???? I took the floor mat back and gotba hold of the numbers on the tcu...it reads...28100-pxo-822-m1 3LX.....should i look into replacing this...do the 822 in the sequence matter..or could I put any number in but maintaining the two series of numbers and letters the same.??? Or what else I do on my own....

Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is D4 light flashing? If yes, then get the TCU codes.

Think about your posts and make them more readable.

good luck

Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, check for codes.....at the same time re-check the fluid level.

Open up the TCU and look for burnt capacitors.

You can also read thru this: Honda Electronic Transmission Problem- Troubleshoot, Inspection, Repair, Replace.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 PM

Hey Poorman...how do I jump the wires to get the code...I get cant a hold of an obdI 1 reader.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Top of the General Tech. board is a sticky-thread called "common DIY" or something like that. In there is a link to some instructions on reading the codes.

No need for an "OBD-1 reader" because you only need a paperclip.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 AM

latest update....I took off the neg on the battery for about 20 minutes and placed it back on...the car is running fine...but the s at the dash board is flashing. All gears in the transmission all ok so far...this is a temp fix...but gotta to get to those codes.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 PM

I had similar problems on my 91 accord it turned out to be a flaw in common with that models tcu. It is located in the front of the cabin on the passengers side under the carpet on the floor. There is a wire harness and bolts attached to a shinny brass box. In this is a circuit board, one of the solinoids will leak out on to the board and cause the unit to fry. In my car the battery was being drained as well. I found a rebuilt one online for $275 and car ran perfect. If the s light or the sport trans light is flashing it is most likely this unit.

Last edited by Glos23; 04-09-2013 at 12:34 PM.