Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

transmission oils?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: transmission oils?

either way, i said temporary, something in it is better then nothing at all, i only say this cause i had to run 400 miles on 5w 30,

Old 04-16-2007, 04:02 PM

nothing at all wouldent go anywhere lol... something has to be there for clutch application some sort of non compressable fluid... if it REALY came down to it... for like life or death situation... and i dident have to make it more than 20 miles... water would be going into that bitch... has same hydrolic propertys as oil and is readily avaliable...

Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 PM

yeah, only problem is it breaks own and evaporates ^_-

Old 04-16-2007, 09:38 PM

Read whats in my sig. You don't have to use the Honda stuff. Yes, it is good, but there are other better alternatives. Any car manufacturer is going to say only use their stuff b/c thats more $ for them. If you want a link to where I got my stuff just let me know.

Beau

Old 04-17-2007, 06:28 AM

ok, so now I'm a lil confused and a lil worried. about 4k miles ago, my tranny locked up. (not hondas fault, my own for not changing/ checking my own fluids. Hey, Im getting lazy these days.) So anyways, I had been taking my accord to Wally World for there $39 premium oil change. One thing they forgot to mention to me is the fact that when they say they check all fluids including tranny fluid, somehow that doesnt pertain to manual cars - eventhough they never told me or posted any written warning anywhere. So, with no signs of a leak, I ended up bone dry and eventually locked up.

Getting to the point. As me and my cousing were installing my new 5-speed, racing clutch and flywheel he did some research at work (Mechanic at a Pontiac Dealership) and said we just use motor oil. So, for 4 thousand hard driven miles I have been running on 5w30. I feel no problems with shifting; the big clutch grabs like a hungry monkey and all seems well.

So, should I change it out? One would expect a problem after this kind of mileage, no?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 AM

You've got a MANUAL transmission. Motor oil is fine for a manual b/c all you've essentially got inside the case is gears. This whole conversation from post # 1 was asked about an AUTO transmission.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:36 PM

Honda and others specify only their tranny fluid because of special friction modifiers.
Some say doesn't make any difference.
On the other hand, premature tranny overhauls are extremely expensive.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:28 PM

5w30 might be a bit weak for a manual... normaly manuals run higher rating oils... go get some redline or royal purple MTF...

hey bat did u know the first auto in the world ran on 5W oil? it was black as engine oil... they colored it to make it easy to see... then started to add friction modifyers so that clutches and bands would apply sofer or harder... this is why some fluids are bad to used in comparison to otheres... ford type f had the strongest friction modifyers if u put that in a dodge tranny the tranny would shift hard as hell for a little while the fall apart... if u put the dodge ATF-4 in the ford the ford would slip and burn out the clutches and bands because of no friction material....

I just got done rebuilding a 4T60-E GM tranny in school... we had to know everything about trannys before we could be done... all the names all the parts all the peices... and how all of them work...

Old 04-22-2007, 05:17 AM

for manual use what honda states or the approperiate replacement in a pinch. draina nd fill with honda fluid as soon as you can.

for auto cars you can substitute GM dextron II (or is it III now?) for Honda ATF in a pinch but trans should be drained and filled with Honda ATF as soon as it is possible to do so.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:46 AM

Well, if ATF is just motor oil, then go change your engineoil and put some ATF in it and report back @ 5000 miles.

Guys, maybe in the "old" days is was motor oil, but auto's are demanded to do a lot more today than the latter. I just don't see motor oil going into a 7 or 8 speed Mercedes-Benz sequential automatic transmission. The properties between motor oil and ATF are so different. Go and look at a MSDS book and compare them. They are different.

Quick Reply: transmission oils?