Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Default worth it??

I've seen a supercharger for my 99 accord. I own a VTEC 3.0 L V6. My question is...is it worthinstalling the kit givingthe fact that I own an automatic. Like few, I'm fairly fresh at this and don't know much about vechicles except on how to drive it so you're gonna have to talk to me like a 6 yr old onmost things. But from my perspective, I've always thought that hookin up a car to go faster is worthless unless you have a manual transmission. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Matter of fact, I have a strong feeling that I'm wrong but please give me the low down on WHY I am.

Here's whatI've found:

http://www.autocarparts.com/part/928/6/

At first I figured I'd just hook up my ride appearance wise. But lately I've been having the urge to go faster.

Any thoughts???

Old 02-20-2007, 02:28 AM
Default RE: worth it??

Matter of fact, which would be best suited for my vehicle anyways?? A supercharger?? or a TurboCharger????

Old 02-20-2007, 02:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I've asked the same question recently and the somewhat overwhelming response was that there is a lot more support of Turbos for import cars and tend to cost a little less for them. However, it's also a matter of personal preference...

The main difference in a Turbo and supercharger is how they actually start up. A turbo tends to have a little lag time when it starts up because it's waiting for air to run through it enough to start spinning. Once it's spinning it can actually compress the air to give you power. With a supercharger it uses power from the engine to spool up ahead of time so that this lag doesn't happen, but the tradeoff is that the supercharger takes power away from the engine to run itself.

So is the ability to have no lagging worth giving up the power?

Personally, I felt that my impatience would make me want a supercharger, but I've decided that I'm going to turbo because, like everyone told me, there are a lot more options for it on my car (98 sedan 4cyl).

Other than that, I have no idea about the auto/manual thing. I have a standard (it was a requirment of mine when I was car shopping), but I hope I helped with the information I did have.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the accord transmission does not suffer failure related to HP in the HP regards it is fairly strong and can easily handle 250-260HP the problem is that the main filter gets clogged when the trans suffers excessive wear on internal components such as the differential bearings. When the main (non user servicable) filter gets restricted, 2nd gear clutch packs fail due to lack of lubrication.

given a choice I would say S/C since the power delivery is smooth and automatics love smooth power delivery......

BTW a turbo isn't "free" either as it restricts the exhaust and zaps HP as well

Old 02-20-2007, 10:48 AM

Automatic accords love turbosand superchargers. You just won't hear the blow-off valve of a turbo unless you let of the gas.No problem though. My 99 accord is a 4 cylinder automatic and I am planning on turbocharging it. If I was you I would go with the turbo- but that's just because they're a lot more fun to drive in my opinion.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I4 cars auto transmissions will suffer failure but again not because of HP but because of design flaws. An automatic trans will last longer with a supercharger versus a turbo since there is no "jolt" in power. sudden power jolts are bad news for any auto transmission.......

Also the I4 accords are included in the 7 year 100K warranty extension for all 00-01 accords 98,99 and 02 guys are out of luck and are considered by "good will" only

Old 02-22-2007, 12:54 AM

So Yeu, what are my limitations with a supercharger?? Because as josieless mentioned..."....there are a lot more options for it on my car..." <--- going with a turboc, that is.