General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A\C problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Default A\C problems

I have an 04 Accord LX coupe, and my A\C has been a pain for almost a year now. With summer finally here, it's time to do something about it. When I turn it on, nothing happens right away. No air from the vents, the fan doesn't kick on, nothing. It'll eventually start working out of nowhere. It happens once I drive for a little bit, or sometimes if I gun it it'll get it working. Once it starts working, it only really blows well when I'm driving, so sitting at a light is almost worthless. Then it will eventually just cut off completely. Anyone had experience with this?

Old 06-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Just so we are clear, the blower pushes air through the vents inside the car. The fans are bolted to the radiator and help cool the coolant.

When the a/c starts working, does it blow pretty cold air?

So, does the blower work when the a/c is turned off (with the heat turned on)?

Start the engine and turn on the a/c. Do both fans on the radiator turn on?

Open the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. There is a link for checking hvac codes under the 03-07 Accords. Check and post any HVAC codes you find on here.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Just so we are clear, the blower pushes air through the vents inside the car. The fans are bolted to the radiator and help cool the coolant.

When the a/c starts working, does it blow pretty cold air?

So, does the blower work when the a/c is turned off (with the heat turned on)?

Start the engine and turn on the a/c. Do both fans on the radiator turn on?

Open the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. There is a link for checking hvac codes under the 03-07 Accords. Check and post any HVAC codes you find on here.
The vents blow air, but now they won't get cold at all. I went to refill it as I thought it might be low. When I connected the gauge to the low, it automatically pinned at red, so it was overfilled. When the a/c is turned on, both fans spin. The problem seems to be that the a/c compressor not working. The belt and it's tension is fine, but it's just not spinning. Sorry, I tried looking for the hvac self diagnosis, but all of the ones I found were for the dual climate control zones and mine is a single.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

I updated this thread with the self-diagnostics for your car. It will be the last post in this thread

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...89/#post325639

So the compressor clutch plate is not spinning? Do you have a volt meter? And do you know how to check for voltage?

Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I updated this thread with the self-diagnostics for your car. It will be the last post in this thread

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...89/#post325639

So the compressor clutch plate is not spinning? Do you have a volt meter? And do you know how to check for voltage?
I just ran the diagnostic, and got a strange result. The recirc light kept flashing. I don't know if it was a longer than normal code or if it was a single flash repeating itself. They were between 1-2 seconds apart from each.

No, the compressor clutch plate is not spinning. I don't have a volt meter, and I'm not to sure how to check it. I'm sure I could figure it out though.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Here is what I see in the shop manual. The recric. light will blink twice with a 0.3 second pause between the two blinks. The light turns off while going into diagnostic mode, but not sure how long until code(s) come up.

If the code is 1, then you will get a 0.3 second flash, then a 1.5 second pause. If a code 2, then 0.3 sec flash, 0.3 sec. pause, 0.3 sec. flash, then a 1.5 sec. pause, repeat...

Recheck, but you may have a code 1 from your description.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Recirculation light blinks two times to show light is working, and the code is flashed w/ repeats after a 1.5 sec pause.

Single flash means an open circuit in the air mix control motor circuit. It could be faulty air mix control motor, wiring or connector fault.

Check 7.5A fuse no. 30 in under-dash fuse box. Check connection to motor.

Does air get cold when engine is cold and gradually warm. This would confirm air mix is set to warm and not operating.

good luck

Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 PM

When I drove it yesterday on the fwy, the air actually got cold. When I got off the fwy I popped the hood and sure enough, the compressor clutch was spinning. It was doing the same thing as before though, where the ait would only blow strong and cold if the car was moving quickly.