General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'00 Accord EX Coupe w/ issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:17 AM
therepresentatives
Unregistered
Default '00 Accord EX Coupe w/ issues

My wife bought a 2000 Accord EX Coupe used and certified about 3 years ago, and it has all 'n' all been the best car that I've ever driven. However, it's got a lot of miles on it now, and I'm noticing some issues arising.
First, over the summer, I hit a really high curb and blew both driver's side tires. I had it towed to Sears auto shop to have them put some new tires on it. They said that there may be an issue with...I don't remember anymore what they said. However, ever since that time, there has been a constant growl from the driver's rear area (obviously something to do with the axle or in that vacinity) and it's recently started to rattle. Going deeper into the growl, the pitch raises as the acceleration increases. Also, if I turn to the left (toward the growl) it vanishes, as well as the rattling. I'm lead to believe that the rattling may stop if the growling does. I don't know what to think about it, but I would like to deal with this myself. I know that I can rely on the guys at the dealership to fix it, but I just don't have enough blood to sell on the black market to pay them.
Second, there is a rattling going on when the car is in park, or is idling. As soon as the vehicle is in motion, it stops. I've listened to it and I've isolated it to somewhere directly in the center and very bottom of the car. My instinct tells me that it's a exhaust problem, but I don't know how to tell for sure. Likely, I'd like to deal with this myself.
I have several other issues with this car that are just weekend projects for me, and are just basically cosmetic if you will issues. These are the ones that I would like to tackle first. If you know anything about my car's issues, I'm all ears. Thanks a bunch.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: '00 Accord EX Coupe w/ issues

Sounds like you have a bad wheel bearing on the left side. The obvious reason is the curb. Front or rear?? Rear is easy to deal with, front not so much... Take a look at the DIY section, there may be a thread about wheel bearings.

After a hit like that, you should get a 4-wheel suspension alignment. (Maybe you've already done that?) That'll tell you whether any other stuff is bent. It would be good to know what they said. Bent control arms?

Rattling underneath sounds like the heat shield around the exhaust - around the catalytic converter. Reach underneath & hit stuff with your fist until you find the noise. Those heatshields are just thin sheetmetal & you can probably get creative to fasten it (hose clamps??).

Don't go crawling underneath unless the car is supported nice & solid on jackstands or ramps.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
therepresentatives
Unregistered
Default RE: '00 Accord EX Coupe w/ issues

It's the rear wheel. That comes as a pretty big relief, now for the work. No, I haven't had it aligned, but I talked to a mechanic who came into my work once and that's exactly what he suggested (that the wheel bearing was bad and that I should get it aligned). Thank you for the info! I'll keep up with you to let you know how it comes out.