General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 Accord Standard Randomly Shutting Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Default 00 Accord Standard Randomly Shutting Off

Hello all, I have a 2000 Accord EX, stick shift, and it is randomly shutting off while driving. When it shuts off, it's when I'm putting the car into neutral, and all the dash lights/indicators pop up, and the car just automatically turns off. I have to wait for it to come to a complete stop, then it turns on like nothing ever happened.

Here are the exact things that have made it shut off:

- When I'm about to exit the high way, I'll get off gas, clutch, put shifter into neutral, break, and that usually shuts it off. I wait to come to a stop, then restart it.
- When I'm going 30-40mph on a regular road, and get off gas, clutch, put shifter into neutral, break, that does it too.
- Also, this past week, it shut off twice when I was shifting into third while making two simple left turns at intersections with lights.
- It is completely random when it happens. Sometimes it does it. Sometimes not.

This happened last year, and we thought maybe something was bad with the fuel pump, and the engine wasn't getting fuel properly. Replaced the fuel pump, didn't solve anything. Then, we hooked the battery up to a charger, and noticed it wasn't getting a full charge. Changed the alternator, and that seemed to have fixed it for about 6 months, now. But it's randomly doing it again.

I've had it looked at, but the mechanics say all the parts that would usually cause that, any relays, ignition switch/module, look fine. Fuel lines/pump looks fine, too. I was given the tip not to put the car into neutral and let it roll to a stop, but to leave it in gear and just break to a stop, then put it in neutral. I've done that for a week, and it hasn't shut off, except for making one left turn when I was shifting into 3rd.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? Thank you SO MUCH in advance if anyone can help.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:28 AM

Just my 2 cents since I just dealt with a similar issue with my 94 manual transmission EX, but have you looked at the distributor? My car was shutting off in the exact same manner as you're describing and I went through the same check list and I changed the distributor and it didn't cut off anymore

Old 04-02-2014, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by HondaAccordEXUSMC
Just my 2 cents since I just dealt with a similar issue with my 94 manual transmission EX, but have you looked at the distributor? My car was shutting off in the exact same manner as you're describing and I went through the same check list and I changed the distributor and it didn't cut off anymore
Thank you so much for the insight. I'm not sure if any of the mechanics have checked the distributor yet, but I'll get one to soon.

Also, I got the tip from a friend maybe it could be something with the spark plugs being bad? Anyone think that's a possibility?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

A good cleaning of the TB and IAC can't hurt anything.

If the normal tune up items are do........change them.