General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'00 Accord V6 Power Steering Fluid Leak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Default '00 Accord V6 Power Steering Fluid Leak and Check Engine Light

Hi everyone,

First time user here so apologies if I've made any errors on my post. I have a 2000 Accord Coupe V6 EX ~48,000 miles on it (previous owner did not use it a lot). I have the following problems

A few months ago, the check engine light came on and since it was time for an inspection anyway I took it into the shop. Got a couple of things fixed including the right engine mount. The error codes then were P0300-0304 and the mechanic explained that this could be due to poor gas quality and I've switched suppliers since.

No problems until a the Check Engine Light came on a couple of days ago, I got a code reader and it showed up P1457. I googled it a bit and found that this is indeed a common problem with 99-02 accords with the EVAP system components especially where chances of erosion due to salted roads are high. I live in pittsburgh and the roads are extensively salted here so I'm guessing that is the reason. I also read somewhere else online that one owner had this problem because of overfilling the gas tank. I have done this a couple of times before so wondering if that could be the reason.

Yesterday evening a whine started coming from the engine area whenever I turned/accelerated and it went away when I went up beyond maybe 25 or 30mph and turning became quite difficult. I opened up the hood and found that the power steering fluid was low. Today morning I found a pool of fluid under the fluid reservoir area and the rubber hoses going out from the reservoir were wet with fluid so there must have been a leak was my guess.

Lastly I dont know if this is a problem at all but since I've only owned a manual transmission (in a different country) I' not sure what to expect. I have noticed that when I accelerate quickly, the shift from 1st to 2nd gear is at high rpms (>3000) while the shift from 2n to 3rd happens fairly quickly (it does not stay in 2nd for long). However if I accelerate slowly the shifts seem to be evenly spaced out. Is this indicative of any problem at all?

I would like to know how much I can expect to pay for fixing the first two problems (dont want to get ripped off since im already quite poor being a student!) and if they are by any chance related (since they occurred within a couple of days of each other)

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks!!!
A

Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

The EVAP part is common on the accords. It is a pretty simple job. You can get some quotes, but ~$50 for the part. Labor rates and time vary. It is not a bad DIY.

The power steering is more important IMO. Try clean up as much PS fluid as possible and try to find the leak. Look for cracks in the PS hose, leaks around the pump, etc.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Unhappy 2000 Accord Coupe V6 EX - EVAP System Leak, How much should I pay?

Hello,

I'm replying to my older thread partly because its the same issue and partly because I don't know how to start a new one. Strangely though I forgot how I did it the first time! So this is my problem,

I had previously mentioned the power steering and evap system leak. I had the power steering fixed, it was just the valves leaking and costed me less than $100. But when I had the car tested with a smoke machine recently at a chain service store and the guy said they found multiple leaks and they had to fix the entire system including the charcoal canister and a couple of valves. The quote came close to $550! (PAhonda had suggested the entire thing would be around $100). I find $550 this a bit too steep but I'm too much of a newbie to know whether its the right price. Am I being ripped off here? What should I do? Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks
A

Old 07-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

It is probably better that you replied to the old thread, since you already stated your problem.

What parts are listed on their quote?

The P1457 is typically caused by the vent shut valve on the evap system. That valve is bolted to the charcoal canister. If the bolts are really bad, you may need a new canister. I would replace just that valve to see if the problem goes away.

Here is a thread talking about the P1457:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...anister-10966/

Old 07-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Default Parts and labor quote

Thanks for that reply PAhonda!

The quote is as follows

>Canister 10406143 - $88.40
>10406143 regis (?!?!) - $66.16
>Vent solenoid - $97.53
>Canister valve -$82.63
>Labor -$156.80

Total -$491.52

Is this too much?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you might also need a 2 way valve ,, to make sure pull the hose going to it , if there is any fuel at all in the hose replace the 2 way valve as well as vent shut valve and evap bypass solenoid valve ,,

as for the p/s fluid below the reservoir , if system is sucking air , the fluid in reservoir will foam up, thus will come out of the reservoir cap making it look like that there is a leak at reservoir or the soft hose there........make sure to chk it out properly before replacing parts