General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'00 V6 3.0L Timing Belt Noise Improper Tension

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Default '00 V6 3.0L Timing Belt Noise Improper Tension

Hey Guys,

I've been chasing a engine noise on my wife's 2000 V6 3.0 EX with 190K miles. The noise was in the front of the engine where the belts are located. I replaced the idler bearing on the alternator belt first. Wasn't it but needed it anyway as it was rough. I took the alternator belt off and cranked up. Noise still there. I took the power steering belt off and noise still there. That only left the timing belt which I had changed at 145K miles. I pulled the top two plastic timing covers off. There is the problem. The belt is VERY loose going up to each pully on each head. I can actually turn by hand the idler pulley that is in the middle behind the motor mount. The noise was the rubber teeth on the belt going up to the head pully touching itself on the way back down from the head pully. I can't see the tensioner as it is down under the bottom plastic cover but it looks like the belt has stretched and the tensioner has extended way out to the point the belt is pushed way to the center of the engine but the belt is still slack going up to the head pully but tight coming back down. I did a big NoNo when I did the timing belt and tensioner at 145K as I bought after market parts. This could be my problem. In the morning I'm going to pull the harmonic balancer and bottom covers to see what is going on with the tensioner. I wondered if you guys had seen anything like this where the timing belt is rubbing against it's own self. I guess I'm very lucky it hasn't jumped time.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

I never did a V6 timing belt, so I don't have any pointers. I would suggest buying the ericthecarguy video (for around $10 on his website) on the V6 engine. His videos are very detailed and he may point out something that you easily overlooked. The more information the better.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:49 PM

This morning I removed the crankshaft pulley and all the lower plastic cover so I can now see the entire timing belt, idlers and tensioner. I don't see anything wrong with any of these items. I removed the tensioner and drained the old oil out of it and submerged it in a jar of 10-W30 oil and worked the tension screw until I didn't get anymore air bubbles. I compressed the tensioner and put it back on the engine. What I am seeing is that the tensioner is fully extended but yet the belt is not as tight as it should be. I can take a big long screw driver and GENTLY pry the tensioning pulley further into the belt and have the tensioner loose off the pulley it pushes on. All I can come up with is the after market belt, not made by Honda, has stretched a enough the tensioner can not properly tension the belt.

Have any of you guys ever heard of a timing belt, even after market, stretching??? I'm going to the Honda dealer in the morning to get a new tensioner and belt just to be on the safe side. I sure don't want to wreck this motor due to a timing belt issue.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

I don't recall reading any threads like this. I would suggest taking the stretched belt with you and comparing the size of the belts.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 PM

That had come to my mind and I'll definitely compare the two belts, old and new. Something is definitely amiss here. Either the tensioner isn't working properly or the belt is too long.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Possibly wrong TB? Honda makes a lot of V6's and some may have similar belt lengths. I think you're right to replace tensioner.

Let forum know what you find.

good luck

Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 PM

TexasHonda,

The thing is that this belt ran for 45K miles without any problem. Then I started hearing a new noise in the last week. So it wasn't the wrong belt originally. But it was not a Honda OEM belt, but an aftermarket. I'll get to the bottom of it tomorrow and post what I find.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

There are just some parts I think should always be replace with OEM and timing belt and tensioner are some of them. Most times I use OEM there are exceptions to that rule like spark plugs, oil filter and oil things that.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Perhaps TB stretched, but this would be very unusual as their are (or should be) several longitudinal reinforcing fibers that provide high axial strength/stiffness.

good luck

Old 02-15-2013, 03:50 PM

Hey Guys,

A new HONDA tensioner and timing belt and all is good in the world! I compared the old and new timing belts as best I could. I didn't have one of those belt measuring jigs. It did look like the old NON-Honda belt was ever the slightest bit longer than the new OEM belt. The new belt is definitely tighter and the motor is purring like a kitten.

I have learned my lesson. Genuine Honda parts always!!!! Thanks guys for the input.