General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord Timing Belt Tension Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Default 96 Accord Timing Belt Tension Adjustment

I recently installed a new timing and balance belts on my 96 4 cylinder VTec while getting the PS rack and hoses replaced.

I am finished,and started the car on jack stands before putting the timing cover and etc back on.The car runs and sounds fine.However,the timing belt seems like its a little loose or flaps back and forth somewhat on the long side a little bit.

There is NO noise,and when the car is off,the belt has some play in it,I can turn it maybe halfway side to side on the long side of the belt.

I just wanted to be 100% sure the belt is correctly set,and needed to know if there was a timing adjustment procedure to do specifically. The tensioners and the springs are in their correct locations and holding fine.

Am I supposed to tighten,then loosen up the center bolt to let the springs do their job,then retighten?Is there an adjustment to make the belt tighter or looser,or does it only set in one way once its on?

I watched a video,but sorry I cannot understand the person speaking about the belt set up.I have some hearing loss,to where its nearly impossible to understand speech through speakers,I can hear it,it just sounds like its foreign or garbled,so Im looking for a written simple step by step in case I did it wrong.

I think Im ok,Im just rechecking everything.Thanks for reading my long azz post.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest downloading the 94-97 Accord manual from Online Manuals post in DIY forum. Following is summary:

1) Turn CCW to TDC on the crankshaft
2) Loosen tensioner adjustment nut 2/3-1 turn
3) Rotate crankshaft CCW 3 teeth on camshaft pulley.
4) Tighten adjustment nut.

good luck

Old 03-01-2014, 04:51 PM

Thanks so much! Im on an old PC and I cannot download files for some reason.I have tried to download PDF and others and it will not do it.Theres some corrupted files or some junk on here that says it cannot open..This PC is 13 years old.I just use it for web browsing or sending emails.

I will try DL it onto my ipad for future reference.

Thanks again,Im going to redo it and check/see if theres any difference in the play as well.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:30 PM

I just wanted to post that I redid the tension set and its all fine.I guess I had it correct the first time,but I needed to be 100% sure,no guessing is gonna put my mind at ease.

Btw the hardest part of this job was getting the lower plastic timing cover back on.What a PITA to align up just right to slip over the components.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:25 AM

not sure how important it is but you're supposed turn the crank three teeth on the camshaft then loosen the adjusting bolt , then tighten it

Old 03-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
not sure how important it is but you're supposed turn the crank three teeth on the camshaft then loosen the adjusting bolt , then tighten it
I did that step.Thanks for suggesting it.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:38 PM

I wanted to update some info for those that havent done this before.

When the timing belt is installed correctly,the reason for turning the engine CCW 3 teeth is that is when the timing belt becomes tensioned or tighter when the tensioners rotate somewhat.I rotated CCW too far the first time(about 5 teeth or more) and watched the belt go from tight then loosen up again.

I did this Method to teach myself how the belt slack is created or lessened when we rotate it to 3+tooth over.Its pretty simple,but that's why I wanted to update this.If you turn the motor with the belt installed correctly more than 4-5 teeth over the belt will become looser again,and you have to rotate it back to TDC then go do the CCW 3 teeth step to get the slack out.Then you tighten the center bolt for the tensioners there.

There is some slack in the belt when properly tensioned,It is not very tight on there.You can twist the belt maybe half a turn or less on the long side when the adjustment is done properly.