General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Accord - 2.3L Timing Belt & Water Pump: Fixing Bad Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 04:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by ctgriffi
Thanks for your reply, Bob! There is a good bit of oil around the water pump (and some above it), but... there's about 3x as much oil on/around the rear balance shaft pulley. Since everything is rotating counterclockwise in there, I figured maybe the leak was coming from around the balance shaft, then being thrown up onto the water pump.

Still, you may be right, hard to say. Outside of cleaning it up, putting it all back together, and then running it a bit with the timing covers off, I'm not sure it's possible to know exactly.

Yeah, there is a retaining clip mounted on the front balance shaft already. IIRC, I added that when I did the job 8/9 years ago, thanks to a tip from the guy at the Honda parts counter.

From what I can tell, that o-ring gasket for the rear balance gear ***'y is a dealer-only part. That sound right?
It's either a dealer only part, or available in a complete rebuild kit. Hard to say exactly which is the cheaper in cost, since dealer parts seem to be priced 3 times as high as anyone else.
Your clip must be different in shape to the last 3 Dorman clips I've installed, which is why I missed it. The Dorman clip is like an upside down "Y" shaped piece.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Is there any replacement for the flexible, rubbery strip that runs around the edge of each timing belt cover? I know that stuff helps keep dirt/crud out of there... most of it's falling to pieces now on mine.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'll bet that's a dealer part too.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I'll bet that's a dealer part too.
Probably right. I'll ask them when I stop by later today to pickup the new gasket for the rear balance shaft gear/pulley.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by ctgriffi
Probably right. I'll ask them when I stop by later today to pickup the new gasket for the rear balance shaft gear/pulley.
Might be worth having a look on e-bay too, as you might find some genuine Honda parts cheaper there.