General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02' EX Spark Plug tube seals

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Default 02' EX Spark Plug tube seals

My '02 EX 4 cylinder has been leaking oil around the valve cover. I picked up the fel-pro kit this weekend, read, googled, watched videos, busted out the Haynes and I'm still having a problem.

Both the VC gasket and the tube seals were so brittle they broke just from me using the rubber mallet to free the cover after the bolts were out. SO my question is.

When the valve cover is ON THE CAR, should the rounded part of the tube seal be up or down (should it look like an "n" or a "u" when I get it bolted back on).

I feel like i've read a hundred posts that say "make sure you take note" but that wasn't possible for me.

Please help!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

It's been awhile since I had an F-series, but I think you can use the outer gasket as a guide.

The outer rim of the valvecover gasket only goes on one way. The cross-section shape of that gasket can be a guide for you? I think it should look like an "n" when it's bolted up. Tapered part fits into the slot, wide part faces down against the head.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM

Thanks JimBlake,

I think I put too much info and wasn't clear on my question.

I have the VC gasket correct, but I can't figure out which way the tube seals go into the VC. These round seals will go in either way.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'll guess you already got this....

Attached Thumbnails 02' EX Spark Plug tube seals-6th-gen-4-cyl-tube-seals.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

PM, maybe just me, but that pic doesn't answer his question.

My recollection is the smooth side should be facing the cylinder head surface (split side up to inside of valve cover).

I'm going from memory here as Honda manual is no help on this issue.

good luck

Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

TexasHonda is right. The solid edge on the tube seals points towards the ground. The groove points towards the sky.

By looking at the gasket, you would think that the groove is where the tube edges seal, but that is wrong.

If you want to help other people out, then take a picture so others can understand what I am talking about.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM

Thanks to everyone who helped out. Unfortunately I had to get the car drivable before the last few reply's came in, and even the techs at the dealer didn't know which way they went. They printed a diagram which basically told me where to put the tube seals, but not which orientation (dealers are so helpful!).

I put them in with the smooth side up when the cover is on. My thinking at the time was: "why would they want the smooth side down so that there is a little trough to hold dirt and debris?"

So now I see I got it wrong. I've driven it a couple of times and checked the plus and there is no oil on them or the wire boots. I'll keep an eye on it and see if there is a problem after a few weeks. If not, I'm not inclined to remove the valve cover again and go through the cleaning again. Especially now that the gasket will be as slick as hogsnot and was a bear to get it to stay in the right position when inverting the cover.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
TexasHonda is right. The solid edge on the tube seals points towards the ground. The groove points towards the sky.

By looking at the gasket, you would think that the groove is where the tube edges seal, but that is wrong.

If you want to help other people out, then take a picture so others can understand what I am talking about.
I have an extra seal that got ripped when I tapped it in with a rubber mallet. I'll try to get a picture up here soon. Good suggestion!