General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in Spark Plug Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Default Oil in Spark Plug Tube?

Recently Ive been having problems with my 1997 honda accord lx 4cyl 2.2 non-vtec. When I started it yesterday it started immediately (i live in minnesota and its very cold). I backed out of my driveway and when I put it into drive, noticed no power. It felt like I was starting out in a very high gear. (the vehicle is an automatic). The engine was making less then desirable noises and upon exiting the car, I noticed brown fluid dripping from under my battery area. I couldnt see where it was coming from, but when I checked my spark plug tubes, I noticed oil in one of the chambers. The dripping from under the car did stop and after two days the puddle has not grown. Any ideas and what horrible event has taken place under the hood?

Old 02-06-2007, 04:00 PM
aslguy1981
Unregistered
Default RE: Oil in Spark Plug Tube?

start by going to your local dealer and having the oil changed and have them put the tracer dye in it. they will pressure wash the engine and then about 4-5 days later you take it back and they can find where its leaking from.

also, since you say there is oil in the plug shaft, that indicates tube seals leaking, the uppers are very easy, and when you have your regularly scheduled valve adjustment (every 15,000 miles remember) have them replace them, its about 15 dollars for parts etc. and the cover etc. are already off, so not really any more labor.

the lower tube seals are more difficult, if they are leaking, which is a very good possibility sounds like, it requires the removal of the actual valve assembly. this is a few hundred dollars easy.

hope you can find it and hope its not as bad as it sounds!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Oil in Spark Plug Tube?

as for spark plug seals, there is a step by step write up on ourDIY section ,, No need to go to a shop if you are a bit mechanically able
ans also a valve adjustemt procedure
as for the leak below the battery.. chk to see if the cooling system is leaking ( brown ) could be very dirty coolant , pressure test the cooling system to chk for leaks..
also brown could be tranny fluid
also you do not have to go to the dealer to add oil dye,, get a bottle at your local part store and add it to the oil and you can clean the engine if it comes to that, at your local do it yourself car wash ..
save a lot of money >> If you need to find a shop, I would go to dealer as little as possible find a shop that specializes in hondas and comprare prices '

I doubt that it is engine oil atthe spot that you mentioned ( below the battery tray )