General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Spark plug tube seal trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Default Spark plug tube seal trouble.

I've got a 94 accord EX with a pretty bad oil leak so I've been doing some trial-and-error trouble shooting if you will. Basically replacing old parts, gaskets and seals until I've got the problem fixed.

Well I'm replacing all the gaskets and seals associated with the valve cover, but I can't get the ignition tube seals out. I've tried hammer + screw driver, pliers and even a hair drier, but those haven't done the trick. I've got a buddy with a heat gun I can call but I don't think I'll be able to get it till tomorrow.

Any advice?

Old 03-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

What you do not want to do is scratch the metal part of the valve cover where the seal sits.

Also, pay attention to the direction the seals are installed. You would intuitively want to install them upside down. The flat part of the ring is visible and the groove is not. Hopefully this makes sense.

I remember that mine were hard to take out of my 95 EX. I took a punch (screwdriver will work here), placed it on that seal as close to an edge as possible, then hit it with a hammer (light/medium force) to bend the metal in the seal. Imagine trying to make the seal shaped like Pac-Man. That released the tension off the seal and I was able to remove them.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 PM

Ha! Just got the first one out! Thanks a bunch.