General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Accord 6sp V6 is acting funny when I shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Default 03 Accord 6sp V6 is acting funny when I shift

Alright, so I have a Honda Accord 2003 V6 6-speed manual, its a coupe.

So for the most part the car has been great. I have 120k miles on it or so. Just got a new timing belt, and in general car has been in good working order.

So when I am starting from stop, sometimes if I am moving slowly, and try to feather out of 1st gear, it acts like the car is not getting enough gas(jerking on and off) and is trying to stall out. When I apply more gas, the jerking becomes worse unless I drop the remainder of the clutch. After I let go of the clutch the problem instantly stops. It doesn't do it quite everytime, but its getting worse. Also some times if I am rolling slowly and try 2nd then I get a similar problem. I haven't noticed it in any other gear. Also I notice a weird noise when I am braking lightly, it sounds like air leaking or a tire rubbing on something. Only when braking though, this may be independent however just happened at the same time.

I did think it was a clutch at first, but from what I read so far it doesn't seem to fit quite right with my symptoms. WHich is why I am here. Looking for some wisdom here on what might be the problem and the cost. I have owned this car for 4 or 5 years now.

I do have a problem with my power steering that happened when changing the timing belt. So I need a $200 hose, which is low priority right now, but also I think I am leaking fluid. It was fine before the timing belt which sucks. But I guess there was a flaw in model car with that.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Does this seem too be around a certain RPM range? Are there any stored codes?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 PM

No not really any rpm range that I noticed, dont think think there is any codes although I haven't taken it anywhere yet.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Some Autozone stores will check the codes for free, if they find any get the actual code. It should be a "P" and four digits (like P0401).

Old 04-02-2011, 04:02 PM

I figured out what the leaking noise was, and is unrelated. It was one of my brake pads, which is what I thought.

The problem temporally remedied itself, but today it did it one time again... Still haven't had much time to take it to autozone. However I did a test online to see if my clutch was slipping, my car passed it fine. (It was handbraking, then seeing if I could keep the rpms up while shifting into a high gear.) I stalled out pretty quickly, haha. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town the next month, so I am not going to have much time to work on the old car, so I'm going to avoid driving it as much as possible until i can work on it some.