General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Accord - CEL and running rough

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:21 AM
Default 03 Accord 2.4 - CEL and running rough

Kind of desperate for advice as I am in northern Manitoba (no Honda dealers) Bit of background for a long first post.

While home in Winnipeg, about 3 weeks ago my wife was driving this unit. All of a sudden it was running rough, but she was close to home, got home and it died. No CEL at this time. Took it to my Honda experts, checked it over, plugs were just changed by them a few months back. By the way, when I drove it to them, all was fine!
Said it was nothing to be worried about, but thought that my cat converter may be on its way out.
I indicated that I was considering getting rid of it for something newer. So they said not to worry about it. Continued to drive it around the city, all fine. Took it on a few short haul trips all fine. Took it to northern Manitoba, all fine. Short haul trip from my wife's parents place while up here....all hell breaks loose!!

While on highway, felt a hesitation/surge, then the light came on. Ran rough, and then smoothed out. Made it to my sisters but not without it, running like crap, and light flashing. And here it sits! It is Sunday plus a holiday tomorrow so nothing open till Tuesday. I am not a high end tech guy but know the basics....so hence me creating an extra long first post!
I wouldn't be as nervous about the issue if I was in a town where there was a Honda guy, there is only a Ford and Dodge dealership, and a couple of other small garages.
So first step should be to limp over to get the codes read?
Note: when my wife had the issue, the car was fine after it quit on her, when I start it now, it continues to run rough....light comes on solid and after 20 secs or so begins to flash.

I should have got rid of the damn thing before I went on a long haul trip, but too much on the go to get things taken care of. I suspect that this is not a minor problem and will likely need fixing before I can go anywhere....I bought this used 4 years ago and has been the worst car I have ever owned! I also have a 99 Civic which may be the best car I ever owned. Owned a Prelude years ago which was also a wonderful vehicle, so am somewhat loyal to Hondas. This one is testing me though!

Any educated thoughts on what I may be up against? Thanks for any help!

Last edited by 4sons; 07-31-2016 at 09:29 AM. Reason: More info
Old 07-31-2016, 08:24 AM
Default One other point....

It has 233,000 kilometres on it

Old 07-31-2016, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

W/o codes, guesses are only possibility, which does no good.

Get codes to gain best insight. Flashing CEL usually means multiple cylinder misfires going on and caution against further driving; ie immediate service.

You can check individual COP's for spark w/ a spare plug. Good spark would indicate a fuel delivery, timing, or compression problem.

W/ fuel pump disabled, you can turn engine over to listen for uneven cylinder pressure. Asymmetric start sound indicates a weak cylinder/s.

good luck

Old 08-01-2016, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the reply!

So had a cousin who's got a code reader...P0302 Code - Cylinder 2 misfiring

Coil? Plugs just replaced 3 months ago

Old 08-02-2016, 08:08 AM

I had this happen a couple times on my 2003 Accord EX-V6. It was my coils every time. I've had 4 of 6 go on me. I had the flashing CEL when excellerating, rough engine idle, and misfire codes.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

P0302 is a single cylinder misfire code on cylinder 2.

Suggest checking for spark on No 2 ( 2nd cylinder beginning from pax side #1). Ground plug body securely and turn engine over. You should get a nice blue spark.

If no spark, COP failure is likely. Confirm 12V on blk/wht wire to COP connector w/ keyswitch On.

If you have spark, then next step is to check for #2 compression.

good luck

Old 08-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Another simple test is to swap coils between cylinder #2 and #4, then clear the codes. See if you get a P0304 cylinder 4 misfire.