General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 Accord interior door handle replacement?

Old 03-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Koko
Unregistered
Default 03 Accord interior door handle replacement?

Well after 93,000 miles, my wifes 2003 Accord EX is starting show signs of wear. The chrome on the interior door handles has lifted off and peeled. They look terrible and need to be replaced. I was going to just removed the chrome but the plastic is white underneath. Just wondering how hard it is to replace these? Does the door panel have to come off?

Secondly, our sunroof squeeks a lot now. If I jam my hand up in the headliner it stops. Is there any fix for this? Seems the search function on this forum hates me.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 03 Accord interior door handle replacement?

The door latch handle comes with the plastic 'cup' all one part.
There should be a little cover that has a phillips screw behind it, then you push the assy foward off it's clips, pull it out and unhook the latch rod/cable.
I know what you mean about the chrome peeling off, I sliced the side of my finger on one of those. [sm=yikesomg.gif]

I don't have any idea about the sunroof problem?
Where in the headliner are you pushing? along the sides?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Koko
Unregistered

Excellent, so the latch assembly can be replaced by removing just what you described as opposed to the whole door panel. Thats what I was hoping.

I couldn't find anything online but is there a good place online to get honda oem parts cheaper than the dealership?

As for the headliner. The rattle comes from the forward part of the headliner. If you reached up to the sunroof then move your hand forward and pull down on the headliner there the rattle will subside while driving. My arm just gets sore doing that. LOL

Old 03-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check ebay for interiro door handle assy's. They had quite a few replacement parts for most models last time I looked. Many internet auto parts stores will have them also.

I have a 97 Acura TL that has an aftermarket sunroof that squeaks similar to yours, however squeaking pt is behind the dash light. I suspect this noise may be caused by the headliner backboard rubbing against the outer steel roof. When they cut the roof for sun roof installation, they may not have correctly supported the cut edges of the headliner backboard leading to the looseness and the squeak. I havent't tried to open mine as this is one of those problems where you may make an annoying situation worse by "messing around".

good luck