General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 accord intermittent non-start, why?

Old 10-02-2010, 03:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 03 accord intermittent non-start, why?

hi all,

a couple of weeks ago, i began having trouble starting my car. it's a 2003, honda accord, purchased about 14 months ago at 180,000km and now it's about 245,000km, so i drive a lot. 4 cylinder auto sedan (LX)

when i try to turn the ignition, it doesn't crank. i've noticed a single click coming from the centre of the engine when i turn the ignition on, but warning lights DO come on when i turn switch to "II" if i wait about 30-60 minutes, the car will usually start. but these non-starts have been happening more frequently.

i've taken the car to my mechanic several times, but it starts fine whenever the car is at the garage, so my mechanic can't really diagnose the problem. he's done a full AVR, seems like battery is fine. i think the battery terminals have some dust/grease, but he says it's not a problem with the wires.

he suspects the ignition switch, but not the starter. both are pretty expensive to replace on a hunch (he said about $4-500 CAD each), since the non-start has not happened to him personally when the car is at the garage. he's a little puzzled by why the car still starts sometimes, because a broken ignition switch would prevent it from ever starting, wouldn't it?

anyone have had a similar situation, any other possibilities or solutions? i want to get this fixed fast before it just doesn't work at all anymore, right before an appointment. sounds like it could be ignition switch, based on the FAQ, but my warning lights turn on, which doesn't really jive with what's in the FAQ.

thanks for your thoughts!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First, you want to be sure the battery wires/connections are clean and sound. It's simple to clean/tighten.

If starter always clicks and CEL comes on when no-start occurs, the starter is likely the problem. The starter solenoid contacts have worn too far and good contact/current flow is not possible, consequently starter will not engage.

To reduce cost, suggest purchasing a good used part from a relatively low mileage Accord. I checked car-part.com for Canada and saw plenty of starters at under $100 C. Install yourself for further savings. Intake manifold must be removed, but doesn't look to be too bad.

good luck

Old 10-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

When i installed an aftermarket radio, i detached the negative terminal of the battery and when the cable rested on top of the negative terminal of the battery, i heard a sizzling sound accompanied by smoke, so that kind of freaked me out and has been deterring me from touching the battery cables too much....is there a way to do this safely? does the haynes manual provide sufficient details?

What do you mean CEL comes on, what's the CEL?

if the solenoid contacts have worn out, shouldn't the car never start? after a few attempts, it still starts. and whenever i try to take it to the mechanic's for diagnosis, it ends up working so he can't figure out what's wrong.

car-part seems like a good site for used parts, i'll keep it in mind. though if you factor in shipping, how much of a saving is it compared with a new part??

i don't know if i trust myself to install the starter myself, haha. but i certainly want to figure out what the problem is...

Old 10-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

CEL is common abbreviation for the rather lengthy Check Engine Light.

What you did will not damage the system, but it's good practice to remove negative first and locate away from negative post.

When solenoid contacts wear, they will frequently make connection after repeated attempts or after cooling.

You'll have to decide whether new or used is best buy for your location/situation. I've generally found that used will be 1/4-1/2 of new price.

Get the part and ask for installation quotations for installation from compentent mechanics.

good luck