General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Honda Accord vibrates when throttle is applied above 55

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Default 03 Honda Accord vibrates when throttle is applied above 55

I've noticed this vibration for a while and usually it starts when I am accelerating through 55 then if I level the speed off before 65 the car will continue to shake. Above 65 the car shakes only when accelerating. The car does not shake if I do not have the throttle pressed down.

Before, I thought it was a tire problem so I had the wheels balanced...no change. I went to Just Tires and they said the tires look okay and everything on the front end looked alright to them (I don't think they have much training in this though). I am completely lost now and don't know what to continue checking. Any suggestions?

Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 AM

OK, if you are still there? Can you explain this again? How bad is it? You say it shakes, a little or is the entire car like it will fly apart? Is it an engine vibration like missing or sputtering? You said when you accelerate, is the engine torquing in the motor mounts? This would be when the engine twists in the frame and puts a strain on components. A tire or axle will vibrate slower, sometimes not noticeable at low speed. Really, I don't get what's happening.

I had a flat spot on a rear tire (fairly new tires) that was driving me nuts, it would shake at high speed with a weird pattern, kind of like on and off. I was ready to tear axles apart - until one mechanic found it.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM

The car shakes a moderate amount. I don't feel like the car is going to fall apart but it is enough that it makes my GPS fall down every once in a while. I feel like it is the rear of the car but I am not entirely sure because the entire car is shaking. The engine sounds fine with no missing or sputtering and the RPM's look consistent.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

You can rule out engine vibration by shifting to neutral, coasting, & let the RPM drop to idle. Still vibrating??

If it were the front wheels or front suspension you'd probably feel it in the steering wheel rather than the "whole car". So it sounds like a rear wheel.

Swap the wheels front-to-back, one side at a time. That way to ID the vibration to a specific corner.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 PM

Could it be a flat spot on a tire? This can be overlooked, even at the tire shop. My 95 LX would vibrate in a weird way. Going up hills under acceleration the front end would shake, on the freeway, it would vibrate and then quit. Turns out it was a flat spot on a REAR tire! Car sat for a while in winter. This can happen with trailers that don't move for a while. Please let us know how it turns out, I am interested to know. GL (good Luck)

Old 06-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Just checking in, want to know what you find.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 AM

Well I was driving today and accidentally had the car in D3 (stop and go driving it rarely gets there anyways). Anyways, at one point I got up to 50 mph around 3200 RPM and the car shaking was much worse. I think the car shakes depending on how high the RPM is. Any new advice?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:36 AM

So, if you are at speed and put it in neutral, no shaking? But shakes at high RPM shakes?
You've got a broken motor mount or some drivetrain component that is worn. Shakes only when in gear? Could be Axle or CV joint related. I am dying to know what is going on with your car. Weird.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:44 AM

Yes to all of the questions...I really hope this is not a expensive repair...

Old 06-22-2010, 08:16 PM

And the census says...it is my right front wheel bearing...I have to take it to a transmission shop to get it checked out...

Quick Reply: 03 Honda Accord vibrates when throttle is applied above 55