General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Accord FOB - New Battery, Still not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 AM
Default 04 Accord FOB - New Battery, Still not working

I recently replaced the battery on my '04 Accord FOB, and I can't get the red light to glow when a button is pressed on the FOB.

Here's what I've done:
- Confirmed that the previous battery is dead
- Confirmed that the new batter has a charge
- Cleaned all battery contacts
- Removed the silicon buttons covering the circuit board, rested the circuit board on the spring-contacts of the battery housing, and confirmed that there is a small current flowing through the circuit board when no buttons are pressed, and confirmed that there was no change to the current when a button was pressed (red light remained off)

I don't know much more about the situation, but it appears that the circuit board needs to be replaced.

I'm wondering, can I order an inexpensive replacement key from Amazon and simply swap out the circuit boards to fix this issue, or am I stuck getting a replacement key?

Or is there a different option to solving this problem?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

You probably have to reprogram the remote to unlock the doors. Search for the instructions via the web.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Old 07-24-2017, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the info!

I wondered about reseting the FOB as well, but since the FOB isn't displaying the red light when a button is pressed (nor does the FOB function as expected), it seems like there's an issue with the circuit; do I need power in the FOB to reset it?

I've also read a few comments on various forums that I should be able to replace the battery without having to reset the FOB.

So, I didn't want to attempt a reset in case that causes more issues which would require me to acquire a new key from Honda (expensive).

My question still stands - can I replace the existing circuit board with a board from a replacement key?

Old 07-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

You do need power in the remote to reprogram.

Normally, replacing a battery doesn't require reprogramming.

You can replace the remote circuit board module and then reprogram the door lock and unlock. The Immobilizer transponder chip is in the shell of the case and not part of the circuit board module.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:34 PM

Thank you - I'll give that a shot and will report back.