General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

04 Honda Accord; 4-door sedan; brake lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Default 04 Honda Accord; 4-door sedan; brake lights not working

Hello,

So I don't know a lot about cars honestly, so you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge for certain terms

Basically, my 2/3 of my brake lights do not work. The lights housed with the turn signals do not work. The light above the trunk, on the spoiler, does work.

I went to a local auto parts store to grab new brake lights, and it turns out it was neither the bulbs, nor the fuses. The guy told me it was most likely a wiring issue. So I'm just wondering if there could be any other possibly explanations for why it's not working, a way I could fix it myself, or an estimate to how much it would cost to fix

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds reasonable that its a wiring issue. Do the taillights work? Back-up lights? Turn signals?

You've been in there to replace the bulbs, right? First thing is try to follow the wires from the bulb sockets. You may have to peel back parts of the trunk lining material. Look for anything cut, pinched, or screwed up in any way. One of the wires will go to some kind of screw or bolt on some metal part of the car; that's the ground wire. Make sure it's clean & tight.

I don't have a shop manual for 2004 so I hope someone chimes in...