General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Honda Accord Cigarette lighter not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 04 Honda Accord Cigarette lighter not working

The cigarette light doesnt work in my car. I guess its not a big deal but its annoying knowing I cannot charge my phone in my car. I brought it to a shop to see if whats wrong and they told me its not a fuse problem but its a wiring problem. When I asked them to be more specific they told me thats all they know. Anybody know what this could be? is it an easy fix? and an estimated price of fixing this? also my rear left speaker doesn't work is this a separate issue or you think they could be together?

Thanks in advanced guys.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

I would treat the problems as separate for now. Have you done any work on the car car like installing an aftermarket radio? Any modifications of the wire harness?

Does your accord have one or two cigarette lighters? My TSX has one in the center console compartment.

Either way, you will have to unplug the connector to the socket, and you will need a volt meter. The blk wire should be closed circuit (~zero resistance to ground). The other wire should have 12V to ground when the key is in the II position. Let us know what you find.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I would treat the problems as separate for now. Have you done any work on the car car like installing an aftermarket radio? Any modifications of the wire harness?

Does your accord have one or two cigarette lighters? My TSX has one in the center console compartment.

Either way, you will have to unplug the connector to the socket, and you will need a volt meter. The blk wire should be closed circuit (~zero resistance to ground). The other wire should have 12V to ground when the key is in the II position. Let us know what you find.
I do have an aftermarket radio but the wires stopped working before that and I do have two cigarette lighters. But thanks for the tips I'll be sure to try it.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 AM

Wiring is never usually an issue with the Accord, so I suspect that whoever installed your aftermarket stereo may have done it incorrectly. When I first started wiring, I can't tell you how many fuses I blew trying to install an amplifier.

If you're not sure which wires are bad, you should find out from someone who knows about wiring, because it'll be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by AccordBro
Wiring is never usually an issue with the Accord, so I suspect that whoever installed your aftermarket stereo may have done it incorrectly. When I first started wiring, I can't tell you how many fuses I blew trying to install an amplifier.

If you're not sure which wires are bad, you should find out from someone who knows about wiring, because it'll be like finding a needle in a haystack.
No no the wires stopped working before I put the radio in. But you think you would know around how much it'll cost to get fixed?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Please double check the fuses, do you have an owners manual. I as as the 07 Pilot has two underhood fuse boxes-there is an "unlabeled" black box by the brake booster. Once plugged in a bad power converter and blew the fuse.....checked the underhod (pass/right) side...nothing. Check under dash pass, nothing. Checked the underdash drivers nothing...finally checked the owners manual, under hood drivers side had the fuse.

Of course this assumes the fuse in the charger isn't blown?

As far as the speaker, have you checked the voltage at the speaker? Just to be sure the speaker isn't bad.