General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

05-07 MAF equiped DIY intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:14 AM
TheWhiteCB7
Unregistered
Default 05-07 MAF equiped DIY intake

Hi. Im Justin and im kinda new to this forum.
I was recently on the CB7Tuner forum as I have a 90 Accord turbo
As my daily driver, I use my parents' 05 Accord equiped w/ the MAF sensor.
What i did was a little DIY to get a cone filter to work with the stock Air Box lasnight and drove the car for miles and the Check Engine light has not yet come on.
I know that some people have probably done this already, but havent wrote a DIY on it yet.
Or maybe there has been other methods to this or there hasnt been one yet for our models.
This is for 05-07 Accord equiped with the MAF Sensor!!!
So heres my DIY

NOTE: The following was done at my own risk and and I will not be responsible for any you may make.

Tools needed:
-Socket Wrench
-10mm socket
-Socket Wranch Extension/s
-Phillips Star and Flathead screwdrivers
-Duct Tape (Optional)
-An extra buddy to help out (Optional) xD

Parts needed:
-Your choice of filter
-60 degree bend 3" pipe from local auto store
-Clamps for coupler

Step:
1) Start by taking off the 8 clips from the front panel above the grill. By using a the Flathead screwdriver, stick it into the empty slot where the clip is being held and slide the clip up. Then pull the clip out w/ the piece that holds them in place.
Note: Duct Tape can be wrapped around the Flathead to reduce the risk of damage to the clips.
Note: Ply the clips slowly to reduce damage to the clips.

2) Un-screw the 2 screw clips at both ends of the front panel. The front panel can now be taken off.

3) Now go underneath the front bumper and find the 6-8 clips that will need to be removed as in step 1.

4) With the 10mm Socket Wrench, unbolt the 4 bolts at the ends of the bottom of the bumper.

5) Use the Phillips Star screwdriver to now un-screw the 2 screws at the ends where the fenders and the tips of the bumper meet.

Note: This next step damaged my bumper so take cation.
6) The bumper is now ready to be taken off. May require 2 people.
Start by slowly pulling the sides of the bumpers while pushing up as it may crack or chip the small slots on the bumper. There may be a lil resistance when doing this step but the bumper should come right off when achieved.

7) Having put the bumper aside, there are 2 small clips that hold the intake resonator pipe cover in place. The cover looks like a box right next to the battery. Now pull the cover upward away from the resonator pipe. In this step, Also take out the top pipe of the resonator found under the cover.

8) Go to the side where the intake resonator is and unbolt the 2 bolts, with the use of the extensions, holding in the the box in place. Now take it out. Looks like a big box that takes up space with 2 pipes sticking out of it.

9) Take out the rubber coupler that holds the resonator in place. Stick the 60 degree pipe to the side of the coupler where the resonator was and clamp it. Now clamp your Cone filter to the other end of the pipe. Now stick this pipe back to the box while claming it.

10) Now unplug the MAF sensor from the intake box. Optionally unscrew the screws that hold the MAF Sensor in place and put it somwhere where it wont be damaged. Now unbot the 4 bolts that hold the intake box together.

11) Take out the old filter from the box and dust out the box from dirt and particles that may have gotten in the box. If you see that the dirt gets into the pipe where the filter is, go back to the previous steps to take off and put on the cone filter as needed.

With this step complete, reverse the previous steps to put on everything. The old filter may now be thrown out if wanted.

Now sit back and feel that extra power.
May notice a difference. My car if modded so I noticed a bit of a difference.
This mod may improve gas mileage, increase hp, give it a lil more aggresive sound, less filter checks, and a still give it the stock airbox look. (that sleeper status look)
This may also cause the Check Engine Light to come on later (I will update you guys on this if this occurs.)
Im waitin for my aluminum pipes to come in so I can change that rubber pipe from the Throttle body to the intake box, as you guys may do the same.

Theres my lil DIY write up to you guys.
Comments are welcome, but no flamin.

,Justin

P.S. Sorry theres no pics
Ill post pics of what it looks like when i get a cam