General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 accord, vibration when accelerating at speed, pack cv joints?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Default 05 accord, vibration when accelerating at speed, pack cv joints?

Hi all. First post. Happy to say that's because I'm on my 3rd Accord in a row and have never had reason to ask anything.

Anyhow, my car starts to vibrate in the front end when I'm accelerating on the highway around 40mph up until around 70 or so. Seems the worst right around 60-65. No vibrations when on cruise, braking or coasting. It feels like the front just wobbles side to side and can be felt in the seat and steering wheel. After some searching it looks like popular opinion is that the front cv joints are bad or need to be packed with grease. I have no idea what that means or what a cv joint is, so I'm trying to find out -

1. Can I do that myself?

2. Is it expensive for the dealer to do that?

3. Any other thoughts on what the issue might be?

I'm not afraid to dig in and do it myself if it's not that hard. These lean economic times have forced me to become more of a handy/repairman around the house and cars. Anyhow, thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:51 AM

A bad cv joint(constant velocity) are the joints attached to both ends of your drive shafts.

Usually when they go bad you will hear noise out of them. Usually under turning. Would be a clicking thumping noise.

Your tires my be out of balance. My impala was doing the same you described.

Your inner cv joint may be bad. Jack your car up. Check the inner boot side that goes into the transaxle. If it is torn then chances are you need to replace. It is cheaper and easier to replace than service.