General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

05 V6 braking issue

Old 05-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 05 V6 braking issue

I'm seeing a problem with the braking in my wife's '05 Accord EX-L V6. I've noticed that when we're going down a very long, steep hill at a decent rate of speed (50+mph), the brakes will gradually start to pulse and then shake quite a bit after repeated pedal application. It sort of feels like brake fade, but a bit worse. It's almost as if the problem gets worse when the brakes heat up a lot. It doesn't do it when we're slowing gradually from 60mph or so on a flat stretch of road approaching a red light, but rather with heavy brake application at high speeds while trying to maintain a specific speed going down a hill.

Thinking that the rotors might be slightly warped (which wasn't a bad guess because they were pretty cut into), we replaced the rotors and pads last week. This, however, did not solve the problem. The regular braking performance has increased with the new pads and rotors, though. Could this be a fluid issue? Master cylinder? Has anyone else experienced a problem such as this and could offer some advice or do I have a dreaded trip to the dealer in my future?

Old 05-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

This was both front and rear pads and rotors, correct?

Could be a fluid issue, hard to say without testing it. However replacing, flushing it isn't that hard and doesn't cost much - I do this myself so that is the basis for my "doesn't cost much".

Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
This was both front and rear pads and rotors, correct?

Could be a fluid issue, hard to say without testing it. However replacing, flushing it isn't that hard and doesn't cost much - I do this myself so that is the basis for my "doesn't cost much".
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I replaced both the front and rear rotors and pads with OEM replacements. They have seated in and feel pretty good. Pedal is firm and not spongy. The only reason I didn't bleed them is because the brake fluid was changed by the dealer (previous owner) at about 62k miles in Nov. of '09. The fluid still looked good to me and the level in the reservoir was good. I guess I should have just taken the extra time and done a full fluid change. I know it's not as good as what the dealer does by pulsing the ABS to get ALL of the fluid out, but it's still better than nothing. I think I'm going to give it a try soon, but any other recommendations are appreciated in the meantime.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Last one, make sure there is the "gap" between the max line and the cap. If "too" full, you can get funny "lock up" type issues which can cause over heating. So if the pads wear down, top the fluid, then finally change the pads....too much can be in the res.....a reach I know but I have seen it before.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Last one, make sure there is the "gap" between the max line and the cap. If "too" full, you can get funny "lock up" type issues which can cause over heating. So if the pads wear down, top the fluid, then finally change the pads....too much can be in the res.....a reach I know but I have seen it before.
I'll have to check that, but I'm pretty certain the level is ok. I just wish I knew if this was a "fixable" problem or if it's just something inherent with this model of Accord. I've read where the braking systems on the 03-05 Accords isn't the best.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, so the fluid level is ok. I drove the car this morning to work and noticed a few other things. It seems there is an occasional slight shimmy/vibration when braking normally now. I'm not sure if this is related to my original problem or if it's a separate issue altogether. I'm thinking maybe the new rotors may be slightly out of spec, but it doesn't make sense why it doesn't do it all the time.

Also, I noticed there is a vibration from a cold start for a few minutes. It's almost as if the engine is running rough. Could this be a bad engine mount or possibly bad spark plugs? The car has 97,500 miles on it and likely could use new plugs.

I like doing work myself, but these issues are driving me insane. I know I'm likely going to pay a small fortune at the dealer, but I really just want all these things to be fixed.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Brakes-sure sounds like "something" is heating up and giving you issues...the question is what, I wish I could tell you that over the net. So, fluid. Caliper slides, rotors????

At 97K you are getting due for tune up and a belt replacement. Might as well get to all of that soon.

Last edited by poorman212; 05-25-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So after inspecting the car last week, I noticed the rear driver's side rotor had the beginning signs of grooves being cut into it and the passenger's side one still had the cross-hatch pattern that comes on new rotors. I tore it all apart and saw that the driver's side pad was very worn and crack. I had a seized caliper. After replacing that and bleeding the brakes again, the car is perfect again. No more shaking or chattering. Since the driver's side was seized and robbing most of the line pressure from the passenger's side, the pass. side was barely engaging. Now that the caliper on the driver's side is good, the pass. side is working great. I'm very glad this all got worked out because we're taking the car on a trip to Maine tomorrow - 1400 miles round trip. The car just turned over 100,000 miles on Sunday (woo hoo!), so a timing belt/water pump service is coming up pretty quick. Thinkin' I'll get it done in the fall before winter hits. Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Great to hear, thanks for getting back with the "answer"...safe trip.