General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Accord Cranks, But Does Not Start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Default 06 Accord Cranks, But Does Not Start.

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum due to the problem that I am having with my friend's 06 Accord(2.4L I4).

Currently, engine cranks fine but does not start. He once suspected battery, so he replaced it without successful outcome.
And he could smell gasoline through the exhaust pipe while cranking, so that rules out fuel injection issue. Since he has no access to tools, he cannot remove the ignition coil and spark plug to see if it sparks. Also, car only has 38k miles on it, therefore I wouldn't think of any intake issue. (Besides, intake issue is hardly found on no-start issue, isn't it?)

The only source of problem would be ignition issue or PCM related problem, but is it even possible to have ignition & PCM related non-start issue in a vehicle with less than 40k miles? Even though he had misfire code few weeks ago, I doubt one misfire issue could lead to non-start. But who knows, it could be an ignition module or some kind.

So,,,is there anything that I've missed? Is there a commonly found ignition issue on 7th gen accord?

Any tips from Honda gurus would be really helpful!!!
Thanks in advance

Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Coil-over-Plug (COP) would suggest a common fault causing no power to the igntion system (fuse or keyswitch assy fault).

Any chance of security system fault disabling ignition?

Suggest checking for 12V to one of COP's. COP's should always be hot w/ ignition switch On. Ground is provided by ECM to generate spark on time.

If power is available, then ground may be being denied by ECM for some input fault or security inhibit.

good luck

Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Coil-over-Plug (COP) would suggest a common fault causing no power to the igntion system (fuse or keyswitch assy fault).

Any chance of security system fault disabling ignition?

Suggest checking for 12V to one of COP's. COP's should always be hot w/ ignition switch On. Ground is provided by ECM to generate spark on time.

If power is available, then ground may be being denied by ECM for some input fault or security inhibit.

good luck
TXHonda, thanks for reply.

Immobilizer seems to be working as green key light illuminates for few seconds then disappears. Aside that, I don't see any indication of security system malfunction.

I happened to find an image of under-hood fuse box diagram, do you think #23 is related to this issue as well as #19? I told him to check both, but haven't heard back from him. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

I see #22 and #19 in the underhood _ I would think other things would be out if these were blown.....and then there is #2 in the under dash......along with a relay.

Again, assuming this is an ign issue. As TX said, the PCM is also part of this.

Attached Thumbnails 06 Accord Cranks, But Does Not Start.-7th-gen-4-cyl-ign-cir.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 06:16 AM

Well, found the answer. It was main fuse in under hood fuse box, part# 38231-SDA-A01, it was last one I checked. I thought it was the battery fuse, so I assumed it would be intact as power came on without problem.

Anyway, if you have CRANKING BUT NO START issue, check ignition coil fuse and main fuse first.
Thank you all for your help!

Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

question is, why did that fuse blow??

Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Question of century, something must've caused spike in current. He did say he replaced the battery at first, he might've hooked the cable reversely.