General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord Cranks But Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Default Accord Cranks But Won't Start

Here's the problem with my '99 EX V6. It'll start up fine several times for a few times then all of a sudden it won't start at all. Engine keeps cranking but will not start. I took it into the shop. The battery/alternator are fine, no problems there. I should also point out that after a few tries, the key is very hot after I pull it out of the ignition. Is it my ignition or starter? Shop has no clue. I leave the car for a couple hours, sometimes till the next day then it starts again, only to have the problem repeat after a couple more days. I am so frustrated. Please help!

Old 08-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Accord Cranks But Won't Start

If the engine is turning over, then the starter is working properly. Your no start is due to a lack of fuel or spark. Take the car to autozone to see if any codes are stored on the ECU and post them here.

I would clean and secure all of the battery connections.

The next thing to do is listen for the fuel pump to kick on when you turn the key to the 'on' position when the car isn't starting. It is a faint whirling sound that lasts for a couple of seconds during the clicks you hear from under the steering column. You might need someone to turn the key to on and listen at the gas cap with the cap off. If you can hook up a fuel pressure gauge that will can confirm proper fuel pressure at the rail.

Typically a spark problem causes a no start. Spray water on the plug wires when dark to make sure that there is no arching. Check the spark plugs for excessive wear. You can remove a spark plug and ground it to the engine block. Have someone else try to start the car (when not starting), and check for bright blue spark.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:57 PM

thanks i was out of town for a while. i'll try those things u suggested. my mechanic said the fuel pump was fine so perhaps it's the spark plugs/wires? i'll have him take a look again.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Many of us have had the same type of problem when the main relay started acting up. Is your problem at all related to the cabin temp?