General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

07 Accord slow to start

Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Default 07 Accord slow to start

2007 Accord with 2.4 engine, auto transmission and approximately 52k miles.
Starter turns engine over at normal speed but engine is slow to start. Slow to me is the 3 seconds or so before engine cranks. I have owned several accords over the years and none of them ever took the time this one takes. I took the vehicle to the dealer and they told me that was normal. I do not believe it is normal and wondering if other people have had the same experience. The engine runs and performs fine once cranked. It never refuses to crank and problem is not related to cold or hot starts or weather. I changed the plugs but no improvement. Any suggestions??
Thanks for your help.
Jim

Old 04-18-2014, 01:34 PM

Same problem, 2007 VP 2.4L 4. It has a slower cranking speed than my sisters 2013 Accord with the same engine. It turned over about 2 cylinders a second and starts on about the 4th to 6th cylinder when cold--- faster when warm but it is 30 to 40 outside.
I changed the battery using a small 12 volt printer nicad battery clipped in the + and - of the fuse box and ground to keep the voltage up. It cranked slightly faster with the new battery.
Charged the battery up with a remote charger to 14.5 volts and when it only took a tenth of an amp to keep it up to 14.5 volts it cranked faster but not as fast as my sisters car.
Changed the ground cable with a 12 gauge one that went directly to the block and also to the nearby fender. It cranked slightly faster but not as fast as my sisters car.

Cleaning the starter solenoid terminals (both from the battery and the second to the starter) requires the intake manifold to be removed and new gaskets may be the next step.

The original Bosch replacement starter draws about 20% less amperage than an American replacement which is cheaper. Maybe it has the lower amperage Bosch starter that might crank slower.

In most engines that crank for some time, it is the crank sensor that has to give 4 pulses before the compute recognizes the Cam sensor to start firing the plugs. In others it fires right after the cam sensor pulses. Have not read how this beast works.

A weak cam sensor might require many more crank revolutions before the computer can see a pulse of sufficient voltage to fire the beast up.

I have not yet purchased a manual for location of these sensors but Autozone, Advance etc might be able to point them out to you so you can ensure the terminals are not corroded if it is cranking fast but not firing up.

Always remove and replace the plugs on sensors 3 or more times so the wires can bite into each other. Any corrosion reduces the voltage --- some times enough to cause long hard starts.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Terms used for starting a car have different meanings to others. When you turn the key all the way to start the engine, the starter will spin the engine. When the engine fires up is when you release the key, because the engine is running on its own.

Is there a delay when you turn the key and the starter spins the engine? Or does the starter take longer to spin the engine to where it fires up?

Old 03-03-2021, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by jimabeck
2007 Accord with 2.4 engine, auto transmission and approximately 52k miles.
Starter turns engine over at normal speed but engine is slow to start. Slow to me is the 3 seconds or so before engine cranks. I have owned several accords over the years and none of them ever took the time this one takes. I took the vehicle to the dealer and they told me that was normal. I do not believe it is normal and wondering if other people have had the same experience. The engine runs and performs fine once cranked. It never refuses to crank and problem is not related to cold or hot starts or weather. I changed the plugs but no improvement. Any suggestions??
Thanks for your help.
Jim
. Having the same problem with my accord with 225360 mi I changed the started and alt I did valve cover gasket bc it was leaking and checked valve lash but those are not related I did spark plugs replaced my grounds and replaced the efi relay but it still long starts

Old 03-04-2021, 07:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Elias Laktineh
. Having the same problem with my accord with 225360 mi I changed the started and alt I did valve cover gasket bc it was leaking and checked valve lash but those are not related I did spark plugs replaced my grounds and replaced the efi relay but it still long starts
How old is the battery? What size are you using. I upgraded my 4cyl battery to the size that came in the 6cyl. It fixed all the power issues I was having.