General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Default Starter going bad?

2003 Accord V6 Automatic Tranny
Okay, so since the weather is getting colder I noticed when I try to start the car it sounds like it's cranking but won't turn over immediately. Today it hesitated a LOT longer than normal, I gave it a little gas and it kicked on after that. However, it was enough to scare me on the subject. Should I be looking for anything besides the starter/ignition going bad? I may need to change the wires and the plugs, don't think they have been changed. I'm paranoid coming from a upkeep pit that I had, so I need some reassurance.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Default RE: Starter going bad?

are you sure it's not a battery problem?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

I'm trying to understand your description. Sounds like the starter spins the engine OK, but it doesn't fire right away. It takes more-than-normal amount of cranking before it fires?

The battery & starter are responsible for spinning (cranking) the engine. Regardless of how long it cranks before firing. If it cranks strongly, the battery & starter are OK.

If that's a good description ofwhat's going on, then concentrate on tune-up stuff like spark plugs. Put some cleaner stuff like Chevron Techron in your gas tank, maybe the injectors are beginning to get dirty.

If your battery is getting weak, then the speed of the starter cranking (before the engine fires) would be slower than normal.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:37 PM

Along with the tune up change the ECT sensor as preventive maintenance, the store will know what you need.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake
I'm trying to understand your description. Sounds like the starter spins the engine OK, but it doesn't fire right away. It takes more-than-normal amount of cranking before it fires?
Yes, sorry I always mess up the terminoligy between cranking and firing and turning over and whatnot.

The battery & starter are responsible for spinning (cranking) the engine. Regardless of how long it cranks before firing. If it cranks strongly, the battery & starter are OK.
Sometimes my headlights do seem to dim randomly... I'll get the battery tested

If that's a good description ofwhat's going on, then concentrate on tune-up stuff like spark plugs. Put some cleaner stuff like Chevron Techron in your gas tank, maybe the injectors are beginning to get dirty.
If your battery is getting weak, then the speed of the starter cranking (before the engine fires) would be slower than normal.

I cleaned with a STP fuel injector cleaner... I think it might be plugs/injectors on one part because I can bet they have not been changed and it's a good 70,000 into life (I'm kind of paranoid on maintenance.. should I be worried this early?). However the speed of the starter cranking is normal, just taking longer to fire up.

Can I do wires/plugs without voiding a warranty? Or is the work covered under a bumper-to-bumper warranty or is it just a whole "wear and tear" item?

Along with the tune up change the ECT sensor as preventive maintenance
What is an ECT sensor and is it something I can do myself-- easy to find/replace? I'm okay with things, done some simply PCV valves, wires/plugs, fuel filter, oil changes, etc.. any guesses?

Old 11-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

your plugs should be good till around 100,000 miles as for plug wires ,there are none ,, system has coil overs . ( no plug wires) .
chk engine lite on ??
you might want to have it properly diagnose before you start wasting money replacing unneded parts