General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 v6 wheel bearing going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Default 04 v6 wheel bearing going bad?

When I turn the wheel about 1/2 way to 2/3 the way to the right (only the right, turning left is smooth), I hear a noticable grinding noise. It doesn't always happen, but probably about 1/2 the time I turn right. Also only hear it at slow speeds basically because I'm not turning the wheel that far while going fast. Imagine the sound of being very low on power steering fluid, its kinda like that. Car has right at 90k miles btw, I bought it about 2 months ago.

Does that indicate a wheel bearing? If so...the right front or left front? I am risking asking a stupid question but I wanna be sure. Just wondering if it could be the left because of extra wear on the left side when turning right?

Also, any thoughts on just getting any replacement part or spending 2x the cash on a Honda part at dealer? I'd rather spend $60 than $129 if it will last almost as long. Thanks

Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe the left, because it's on the outside of the turn. But wheel bearings sometimes don't follow the "rules". I had a bad wheel bearing that made no difference how I was steering.

Best way to tell is lift (and support!) the car & remove the wheels. Push/pull the calipers to move the pads away from the disk. That way you can "feel" how smooth the bearing spins. Trans in neutral otherwise the opposite side spins too.

It's possible you won't really be able to tell without removing the knuckle & spinning the bearing out of the car. Got a mechanic's stethoscope?

Do you know what make of bearings? There's not 50 places in the world that make bearings. Honda doesn't make their own bearings anyway.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Update: Had a former Honda mechanic look at it today, and go figure, it didn't make the noise at the time. But he looked at the wheels, and shook all 4 tires, and said it probably wasn't a bearing, but maybe old power steering fluid and/or pump, or a rough spot in the rack & pinion steering. I am leaning more away from the steering fluid/pump and more towards the rack if I had to choose between the two (because like I said many times, it ONLY happens while turning RIGHT).

These theories make sense? Sound crazy? Or should I revert back to thinking its a wheel bearing? This "only making noise when mechanics are not around" is getting pretty irritating.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Bearings can fail by getting loose - that's why he shook the wheels.

But they can also fail by getting tight & making "growling" sounds. In that case they aren't loose when you shake them.

Still, your mechanic is the one with his hands on the actual car. I'm just thinking of possibilities without seeing the car in real life.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 PM

check your cv joints. you can look behind your wheel and see the little rubber boots, if they or one is busted u will prolly need a new axle. i have a 98 accord and have had to replace my axles due to bad cv joints.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 PM

Yes, I would check the cv joint boots. Jacking up the car, and turning the wheels sounds like a good idea too. Did the mechanic do that?