General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 accord I4 ex manual minor tranny and engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 PM
xinfamousx101
Unregistered
Default 09 accord I4 ex manual minor tranny and engine problems

Hi, just joined the forum. been scoping it for months, seems very helpful. Was always to busy to join before(college) but its spring break now With the extra time, I also decided to start looking into minor problems for my 09 accord that I have been ignoring...

I guess Ill start in order of problem discovery.

-Engine vibration

1. I noticed a spining-like sound vibration coming from the glove box area when I push my engine above 5,000 rpm. This happens when I load the engine with a gear, and also in neutral. It seems like a device that is dependent on the engine rpm is overworking or something.. I did notice that it does go away and come back, and if I recall correctly, it is always there when I first drive the car(temperature dependent maybe?) My parents own a 07 accord lx auto I4. I "experimented" with their car and it does the same thing when I shift into neutral and just gun it in the auto transmission... So I am pretty sure that its normal.. but I just want to know what it is.. and if it can be fixed, great!

-Tranny problems

2. Just recently, I have noticed that my clutch pedal is vibrating a lot when I shift. It is perfectly stable once fully engaged or disengaged(well I am slamming it to the floor... but I feel no vibration from it), and also when pushing in/out in neutral. However, once I put in a gear, it sometimes vibrates either in the inward to middle region or middle to outward region. So if 1 2 3 4 5 is the position of my clutch with 1 being the floor, I would feel this vibration around the friction zone, at positions 2 3 or 3 4. I have been once again, experimenting and what I found out was that when I redline 1st and 2nd gear, the problem temporary goes away. The pedal feels completely smooth, like it used to... but after a while of normal driving(shifting at 3k rpm) it starts to vibrate again(again temperture dependent? obviously the slutch slips less when warm, but slips more when hot? and therefore making the shift smooth?)

3. I have also noticed a clunk when going from neutral to first. I know that a lot of people have had problems with "clunks", and I did do quite a bit of research, but the cases that matched mine were never answered. Plus, most of those problems are on old transmissions, mine is almost new. The specific problem only applies from neutral to first. The rest of the shifts are great. Also, it only happens when my engine rpm(at idle) is greater than the speed of the wheels(in first gear). It does it half of the time from rest to first, depending on road elevation and my clutch work. It occures almost everytime when starting from a very low speed(lower than engine rpm idle, perfect example is coming off a speed bump at the speed your suppose to xD) to first. At this point, I am quite sure that the clunk is caused by the grabbing of the clutch and flywheel. I have overcome the problem by gasing before giving any clutch, and by doing so, grinding the clutch to force the flywheel so slowly merge with the clutch. But I am looking for a definate answer. The sound really makes my car sound ghetto with only 5500 miles on it....

I read somewhere that the brake fluid(which is same as the tranny fluid for the hydralic system?) could be the problem. This solution would have solved both problems. The lack of a fluid would have made the clutch more sensitive to actual transmission vibrations, and also it means that the clutch isn't being as well controlled as before, therefore causing the clunk. So I checked the brake fluid, dead full...

I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer. Yes yes I know, the post is long, but I am losing love for my baby

Thanks! And Ill post all the beauty about my baby later, got red jdm honda emblems

Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Take it to the dealer, you paid for the warranty for a reason.

That's what we tell everyone who's car is still under warranty.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:03 PM
xinfamousx101
Unregistered

I personally hate having dealers work on my car. Its not that I don't like their mechanics, I just care about the littles things that they do carelessly. After all, they don't care about my car, I do. Plus since these are such minor issues, I doubt they will do anything. Probably just say that they are normal and send me straight home asap...