General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

09 Honda Accord LX Sedan VSA and TPMS

Old 01-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Smile 09 Honda Accord LX Sedan VSA and TPMS

My Accord is equipped with Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

I want to change the tires, myself, on my car. I'm aware that once I do, the TPMS would need to be reprogrammed by my dealer (or can I take it to any shop?)

My question is, would this affect the VSA system? I called a number of Honda technicians, but I been given different responses. Some say that the VSA system is integrated with the TPMS, so if I change the tires myself, the VSA system would not work. Others say that the VSA system wouldn't be affected.

Is there somebody who could please give me the correct answer? Thank you very much!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM

By tires I assume you mean pieces of rubber that go around pieces of metal. If by tires you mean a complete rim/tire assembly that is a differenet story.

If you are just changing the tires (rubber) then there is absolutely no problem assuming you don't snap the sensor off of the rim.

If you are changing the rims you need to either transfer your old sensor to the new rims or get new sensor and have them programmed by the dealer. Honda HFP rims frequently come with new sensors but not always.

As far as VSA is concerned nothing you do should affect it if you keep tire diameters in the realm of normal. If all tires are the same diameter and they aren't radically different in size compared to factory it should work fine. In other words don't put 20's on your accord.