General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 Accord idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:02 AM
brokenspoke
Unregistered
Default 1977 Accord idling problem

I'm having a problem getting this car to idle & run correctly. It wont idle unless the choke is pulled all the way out. It wont stay running unless you are giving it throttle. It seems like the accelerator pump is working really good but it doesn't seem like its getting fuel otherwise. I can pull the choke out all the way & it will run, at a high rpm of course. Any suggestions?

Old 05-19-2006, 01:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1977 Accord idling problem

woooooooo Holy cow ,, i have not looked under the hood of one of these for 20 years... well i hope my memory serves me right

first off make sure there are no broken or disconnected vacc hoses ,,,

...remove the air cleaner assembly,, make sure to plug the main vacc lines ,,
manually accell via the cable and look into the carb make sure it is getting an even fuel stream,,
at the back of carb, there is the idle solenoid. put the key on and make sure you hear it click ( cycle) with key on and off ,, if it is, we know it is getting power and solenoid is working.. if it is not clicking chk to see if it is getting power with key on,, if it is you got a bad idle solenoid .. ,,if no power , chk fuse and or wiring ... if all ok..

Remove the 8mm bolt the holds the idle solenoid in place, DO NOT lose the small o-ring or you will have a fuel leak,, anyho spray some carb cleaner inside the carb opening where the solenoid was at .., if you got compressed air that would be even more beneficial.., do it a ferw times,, put solenoid back on and try it...

if it idles ok now you got dirty passage in the idle circuit inside the carb..

if it still wont idle ,, than i take the top of carb off and look at the main jet , it is located on bottom left of the bowl.. sometimes it pops out and car cannot idle ..

Old 05-22-2006, 04:58 PM
brokenspoke
Unregistered

Well I checked the idle solenoid & it is clicking like it should be. Is the primary & secondary supposed to click like the idle solenoid is? It acts like it's starving for fuel. It wont run even if the throttle is held open unless I pump the accellerator pump or pull the choke out. I was wondering about the primary solenoid since all three of them are wired into the same wire. It didn't feel like it was energizing. Is there a way to ohm those out? Thanks for the info!!!!

Old 05-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

what i would do,, is first off make sure it has power going to it,, if it does, remove the 2 screws for the primary solenoid, remove it, ground it , with the key on and see if the plunger retracts,, if it does not,, you got a bad solenoid,,
if it does, look into the carb bowl and see if the main jet has partially come off its sitting , i have seen that happen many times,, if jet came off its sitting, just tap it back in..