General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1987 Accord Thermostat location?

Old 12-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Default 1987 Accord Thermostat location?

The past few the car has been acting and noticed the temp needle is not moving. When i drive and come to a stop the car spudders and shuts off. When the temp needle goes to normal the car for the most part is fine. Iv also been experiencing high ide in the 2-3k range.

Am i correct the thermostat is sticking and causing some of these problems? This year accord has a carburetor as iv also had a hard time locating the radiator drain plug. Could someone by any chance help me locate the thermostat and radiator drain plug? Iv been searching for a couple days and cant figure it out.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There's a manual for download on this site for your model. It says Honda Accord Secan, but it's a typo for Sedan. This will provide guidance for your work.

Thermostat is usually located on lower heater hose at the engine on Accords.

Too cold may prevent choke from functioning correctly leading to high idle. Fix Thermostat and see if problem improves. High idle on carb engines is usually related to improper choke setting/operation.

Radiator drain plug has to be on bottom or radiator. You may need to pull a cover to see better. On most there is an opening in the lower cover to allow draining w/o removing the cover. Look for that hole.

good luck

Old 12-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

On the 3rd gen (86-89 Accords) the t-stat is in/on the upper hose where it conncects to the engine.....same location as newer Accords just the upper hose.

^2 on the rad drain...you can "see" it with the cover on (bottom center of rad) but I've always ended up pulling it to be able to get a grip on the drain ****.

Last edited by poorman212; 12-05-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 AM

Regarding difficulty opening the drain ****. I had the same problem on my 03 MDX recently and found I could use a 6-pt socket/ratchet to turn the draincock and break it loose. Also helpful for retightening, but be careful.

good luck

Old 12-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Wanted to thank you all so much for all the replies I downloaded a service manual and it really helped me locate some things. Although the pdf seems to be for the fuel injected model.

Its freezing here at the moment so i really don't feel like working on it till it warms up a little. I did however start the car to park in the garage and it still at idle spudders and dies with excess smoke coming out of the exhaust still. Figured i would change the fuel filter as well so hopefully i can find that lol.

I hate these carbed motors with a passion, hard to work cause of the tight spaces and a zillion vacuum lines.

So i figured on the list would be, replace fuel filter and thermostat. Hoping one of those 2 parts will at least make it drivable again. Who knows it could be something major but im crossing my fingers. THanks again you guys, really appreciate it!!! I will post up later hopefully with some good news...

Old 12-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

My, our-(speaking for you TX sorry but I think you agree), pleasure.

I know what you mean by the carb, got a few of my own.

Does sound like it is running rich, but you stated when the temp gauge gets to normal it runs better....choke adjust may be needed(?) but don't go there yet.

There are two fuel filters on the 3rd gen carb models. One is under the hood, around the brake booster. The other is at the back of the car. If you pull the left/drivers rear tire it will help in finding and replacing.

And yes temps are a pain, we got snow yesterday here in NC-change some of my repair plans yesterday and today.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:14 PM

thanks Poorman for the help on early model Accords.

regards