General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 accord lx rough idle and stalls at full operating temp

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Sorry for the split reply, where the red arrow is looks fine on my carb. I was taking about the area where the needle? is in the blue circle.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

To me, sounds like the float needle/seat is not sealing off.

First, for the record. On these, you should NEVER be able to see gas going down the throat of the carb...even at night with a flashlight....no signs of gas.

Back on topic.

Citiz - There is a sight glass on the carb to check the level of fuel in the bowl. Might have to clean it as dirt and that makes it hard to see as the years pile up.

Pull the air filter base, yes I know a bit of a PIA on these carb Accords. Clean the sight glass - from the drivers side fender/tire, look right at the carb towards the pass side.

When the car is cold....been a few hours since it ran...use a good flashlight look, thru the sightglass and fine the fuel level....might have to rock the car a bit to see the gas move around.

Once you see that level, should be in the middle. Start the car and watch the level thru the sightglass. Once the car starts to warm up, I'm going to bet you see the level rise....and then a bit later the car will flood out as gas starts to "drip" out from the blue circle "thing" in my pic.

Let us know what you find and we can go from there/here.

Don't get worried.....we can help and NO you don't need a new/rebuilt carb if the float needle/seat is bad.

EDIT: Yes I go into way more detail when it comes to these.......we may not be around for that long so if there is any "info" that might help someone in the future....time to put it out there.

Last edited by poorman212; 03-05-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:11 PM
Default I do have gas dripping, now what?

88 accord lx, hit bump and nothing has been right! Runs great cold, once warm I've had to adjust idle up and it is rough.
Originally Posted by poorman212
To me, sounds like the float needle/seat is not sealing off.

First, for the record. On these, you should NEVER be able to see gas going down the throat of the carb...even at night with a flashlight....no signs of gas.

Back on topic.

Citiz - There is a sight glass on the carb to check the level of fuel in the bowl. Might have to clean it as dirt and that makes it hard to see as the years pile up.

Pull the air filter base, yes I know a bit of a PIA on these carb Accords. Clean the sight glass - from the drivers side fender/tire, look right at the carb towards the pass side.

When the car is cold....been a few hours since it ran...use a good flashlight look, thru the sightglass and fine the fuel level....might have to rock the car a bit to see the gas move around.

Once you see that level, should be in the middle. Start the car and watch the level thru the sightglass. Once the car starts to warm up, I'm going to bet you see the level rise....and then a bit later the car will flood out as gas starts to "drip" out from the blue circle "thing" in my pic.

Let us know what you find and we can go from there/here.

Don't get worried.....we can help and NO you don't need a new/rebuilt carb if the float needle/seat is bad.

EDIT: Yes I go into way more detail when it comes to these.......we may not be around for that long so if there is any "info" that might help someone in the future....time to put it out there.