General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1989 Accord Lx fuel and carb problems.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Default 1989 Accord Lx fuel and carb problems.

So I have searched around on here for a while and didn't find what I needed, hopefully someone can help me out here.

I have an '89 Accord Lx Carbed and I thought the filters were going bad or stopped up so I ran a check on them and they were fine. The car was running fine then just started acting like it wasn't getting fuel at all, it cleared up for about 2 miles then started doing it again, and now it just won't stay running unless I spray fuel into the carb.

I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and turned it over and it is getting plenty of fuel. I filled a jug about a quarter of the way full in a short amount of time so I know the filters aren't clogging. I noticed that when I hooked it all back up that I am getting fuel coming out of the fuel adj screw.

Anyone have any idea as to whats up? I am thinking I am going to have to do a rebuild on it because of debris getting caught up in the needle seat or somewhere in the jets. Sorry for the Wall of text.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Seen this before

Sounds like the float needle is either stuck open or closed. Can you check the level in the float bowl? This is hard as if it is over filled or empty - it kind of looks the same.

If you remove the top and bottom part of the air cleaner. Give the top of the carb - drivers side gentle taps with the handle of a screw driver......see if this might free up the float or seat.

EDIT: You get get lucky and it just be the o-rings on the adjust screw.

If not, yea you might have to pull the top of the carb - can be done while on the car. And check the float and the float needle and seat.

Wow, two 3rd gen carb's in one night....I might be of some use after all.

Attached Thumbnails 1989 Accord Lx fuel and carb problems.-3rd-gen-float-level-adj.jpg   1989 Accord Lx fuel and carb problems.-3rd-gen-carb-throat-my-leak.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 09-25-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 PM

Lol I hear you are the man to talk to about 3rd gens. I tried pecking on the carb, I believe the needle seat is stuck after messing with it some more. I will have to check the O-ring on the adjust screw. I will be working on this thing tomorrow some more. Thanks for the advice and I will let you know what I find.

That red arrow pointing to a leak, That is exactly what mine looks like, I thought a gasket might have ruptured there. As for the needle and seat is there anything from the top I can do to check it? Maybe move it up and down try to free something up?

As for checking in the window, mine is completely clouded up, I removed the cover and tried using a little polish to clean it up but to no avail. =/

Old 09-26-2012, 05:54 PM

Ok Sorry for the double post, but I have it running again..

I ran half a bottle of carb cleaner through it. I took the vac lines loose and pressure tested them individually. I found 2 leaks on the back side. After that I flushed the fuel lines got a little gunk out of those. Then it acted like it was wanting to run as long as I feathered the throttle, any full press or hold caused it to die immediately.

In the end I had someone hold a good thick shirt over the carb while I cranked on it for a few mins, and I guess what ever was hung up in the carb fell on through because after 3 or 4 mins of trying this it started idling fine and cleared right up.

All in all I think I got lucky as to not have to buy a rebuild kit. Thanks for all the help all.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Well I wouldn't say "I'm the guy".....I've just played with a few of these over the years.

Not a whole lot you can do, you can try adjusting the float level, small turns (1/8) at a time. Also might want to clean the sight glass - glass cleaner & q-tip ? - as at the end you'll want to be sure the level is correct.

Mine (87 LX), I ended up having to pull the top off the carb - just the top while on the car. Replaced the top gasket, float needle and seat and an o-ring or two (been a while since then - so I can't remember if there was one or two). Hope the float is ok as the shaft it is attached to is VERY HARD to remove.

If you end up "going in", I can give you a tip or two on getting the float out of the way without removing the shaft - last time "in" I did not remove the shaft. Might need a pic or two so that my memory will be refreshed

Last, when I last did this I had to buy an entire car kit as the pieces were not available by themselves....or I couldn't find them at the time? I still have the "rest" of the kit in the garage somewhere.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Nevermind.....I now see you posted as I was typing.

Glad you got it going

Yes, I do like the 3rd gens.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 PM

i got a 1985 accord with the 3 bl carb and i drove it like 4 miles and there was what looked to be gas and oil mixer coming out of the air cleaner. would anyone kno what the problem would be?