General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 accord clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 03:56 PM
sassyboo2
Unregistered
Default 1990 accord clutch issues

I have a 1990 accord with a gazillion miles. It (usually) runs great and gets killer gas milage. Anyway bout a week ago I was driving and the clutch went to the floor and wouldn't come back up. Hubby replaced master and slave cylinder and tried to bleed clutch. The clutch still had no pressure. Brought it to a shop. They took out the transmission checked everything out and cant find anything wrong with it that would cause clutch not to work. Pleeeaaassseeee help me out. I need my car back. Any suggestions or thoughts???

Old 10-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1990 accord clutch issues

Gotta get the air bled out of the system. It can be a pain sometimes. I usually open the bleeder about 1/2 turn, put a clear piece of tubing on it and work the pedal untill the fluid comes out clean.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:44 PM
sassyboo2
Unregistered

Had to drive it with no clutch today (who knew u could do that). After driving a few miles I heard the clutch pedal pop up all by itself. It now has a little bit of pressure and I can change gears but it's definately not fixed. Given this, u think the problem is still air in the line and needs to be bled? We tried for two hours to bleed it the other day and the shop did as well. We must be doing something wrong. Is there something we are missing or some trick to it?

Old 10-29-2006, 01:36 AM

check for bidning in the clutch assembly...return springs, etc.......

Old 10-29-2006, 01:14 AM

Sure sounds like hydraulic to me.....

I haven't done an Accord but I did the Legend about 2 months ago. Open the valve on the slave cylinder and have someone pump the clutch when you are getting steady streams of fluid, close the valve and it should have pressure. DO NOT let the slave cylinder run low and when you are done make sure you have the proper level of fluid in it.

Or, you can do as the Honda service manual says (I think this is the same as a one-man bleeder kit). This is word for word from the 1991 service manual:

1. Attach a hose to the bleeder fitting and suspend the hose in a container of brake fluid.
2. Make sure there is an adequate supply of fluid at the master cylinder, then slowly pump the clutch pedal until no more bubbles appear at the bleeder hose
3. Refill the master cylinder when done

That sounds like it would work GREAT, I just didn't have a hose before.

Any mechanic should be able to bleed a hydraulic system, I don't know what that shop was thinking.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sassyboo2

... Is there something we are missing or some trick to it?
The only trick I know is loop a string under the pedal to pull it back up.

The pressure plate provides the spring-force, so when you bleed the brakes the pedal won't spring back up. But, control it with your foot as you pull the string. If you let it snap up, it tends to get air in...

Old 10-30-2006, 01:54 AM

ORIGINAL: sassyboo2

. Brought it to a shop. They took out the transmission checked everything out and cant find anything wrong with it that would cause clutch not to work. Pleeeaaassseeee help me out. I need my car back. Any suggestions or thoughts???
ok maybe i am missing something,,let me get this right.........you took car to a shop and they pulled out the tranny ??? and they did not fix the problem ?? and let you go away without fixing it ?? i hope you did not pay them for removing the tranny .........there was no need to remove the tranny ...

sounds like an hydraulic issue..( air in system ).....chk the system for leaks that could suck air into the system,, if no leaks , you need to rebleed the system again, if still no help,, i would try a different clutch master cylinder
by the way the parts your hubby installed were they honda parts of non factory ??