General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 accord ex alternator failure....

Old 02-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Default 1990 accord ex alternator failure....

need assistance in what I suspect is a faulty alternator, but would like another opinion.
scenario is this:
went on vacation for the last week and had to park the honda (agnes as i call her) at the airport for the duration. Here in MN it was below freezing pretty much the whole time. I was thinking upon my return that a jump was going to be necessary. However, it was aboyt 20 degrees when we returned and she fired right up. No hesitation. I did however immediately notice the battery dash light was on. It was still during daylight hours. As i proceeded to drive home and it got dark out the lights were required. Upon my return to the driveway, she was all about but dead. Lights dim, tach not working etc. Turned off all that i could just to make it home. I chrarged the battery all night and still the battery light is on. I made sure the cells were filled with water. It was about 10 miles to home from the airport. I let the car idle before leaving the airport for like 10 minutes and ten minutes after returning home with no accessory stuff on. Need less to say I decided not to drive agnes to work today (40 miles away) in fear that the alternator is not working and she would suck the juice right out of the battery. There was no indication what so ever that their was any problems prior to my departure.
My questions are:
#1 does this sound like the alternator?
#2 anyway to confirm a faulty alternator besdies replacing it?
#3 Do alternators just die that quickly without warning? And perhaps the fact it sat out in the freezing temps expedite its death?
#4 Is it difficult to replace as a DIY? I am pretty mechanically inclned.
#5 what else should I be thinking here that could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!!!!
[align=right][/align]

Old 02-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Default RE: 1990 accord ex alternator failure....

First check to see if your alt. belt is intact then lets go from there

Old 02-13-2007, 03:45 PM

if the belt hasn't broken then it does sound like either an alternator issue or maybe a cell in the battery has went bad. I have had a bad battery that held charge for limited time but while driving got weaker and weaker. if you want to know for sure about the alternator then take it to any auto parts store and they can put it on a machine to test how many amps/volts it puts out.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

It is real common for the brushes to get worn down in the ALT and make poor contact with the armature.
Cave man test is needed
When the batt light is on and the engine running smack the top of the alt. if the light goes out or flickers it is probably just a worn out brush pak.
the brush pak is under $30 and easy to replace.
Unhook battery negative
Swing the alt up, remove the battery connection and the 10mm holding the insulator and pull the insulator, unplug the connector.
the back cover comes off 8mm nuts.
Then you will see 2 phillips screws holding the brush pak in; use a really good phillips on them, they are tight, and you only have one chance.
Then use a feeler gauge to help slip the new brushes in over the armature.