General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get the alternator adjuster back on? 1990 accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Default How do I get the alternator adjuster back on? 1990 accord

ive got a 90 accord, the battery light came on i took it to the shop they said it had a bad alternator. i got a new alternator. took the old one off. when i took the alternator off i backed the alternator adjuster bolt all the way off. i cant remember in what sequence i took it apart.
according to this picture: http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automo...800b1f6a_2.jpg
the components are called:
lower through bolt
adjuster bolt
stay
alernator nut.
1.what i cant figure out isdoes the "stay" go on the lower through bolt, then slide the alternator on and then the alternator nut
or
2.does it go alternator onto the lower through bolt, then the "stay" and then the nut?
do i try and screw the adjuster bolt into the stay or do i assemble it and then slide the stay onto the lower alternator through bolt?
im having a difficult time reassembling something that shouldnt have took but a few minutes.

man i absolutely cannot figure out how to word any of this.
sorry its so confusing, thanks in advance. my honda is my way to work everyday and not im having to drive my 90 chevy k1500 and its KILLING me on gas.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Trying hard to have a flashback here

I think I used to get the adjuster bolt a few threads into the stay, and then line up the lower bolt, thru the stay.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going off of memory too. Don't worry about putting the belt on the alternator until the end.

There are three bolts and one nut. The big bolt is the pivot (14 mm?). The middle bolt goes through the bracket on the bottom and there is a bolt that attaches to it (12mm). The 10 mm bolt is to adjust the tension. I hope I have the sizes right.

Install the alternator using the big bolt on top. Install that bolt loosely.

Next, push the medium medium bolt through the slot in the alternator bracket and alternator. Loosely put on the 12mm nut. You may have to pivot the alternator a bit to do this.

Finally install the small 10 mm bolt into the threaded part of medium bolt. Just get the threads started.

Now you can put the belt on it.

I would get the big bolt slightly snug. Then get the 12mm nut on barely finger tight. Then adjust the tension on the 10mm bolt. Then tighten the 12mm nut and the 14mm pivot bolt.

I hope this makes sense.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

I gave the instructions for my 95 accord. Ignore my last post.

The 92 is a bit different. I attached a pic. I will use the labels on the pic to describe.

With belt off, install through bolt loosely.

You need to feed the adjustment bolt through the hole in alternator, through the slot in the alternator bracket, through the adjusting nut. Put the adjustment locknut on loosely. You will probably have to pivot the alternator a bit to do this.

Finally feed the adjusting bolt through the threaded part of the adjusting nut.

Then tighten the through bolt and adjusting bolt finger tight. Set the tension on the adjusting bolt.

Then tighten the through bolt and the adjusting lock nut.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:47 AM

On my 92 Accord I was having a grand time trying to feed the adjustment bolt thru the allt and bracket. What I did was drill a small hole thru the end of adjustment bolt and tied a fish line to it. I then fed a wire thru the bracket and alt to the bolt and tied the fish line to wire and now it fed thru with out problem. This might benefit someone using the archives.