General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Accord overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:23 PM
67coronet383
Unregistered
Default 1990 Accord overheating.

1990 Honda Accord 2.2L F22A4 293,000kmi 4spd automatic.

My girlfriend got this car about 3 days ago. The guy she bought it from said the timing belt had broke, and bent valves. He said he got a used head and put it on, along with a timing belt and water pump.

I cleaned up the motor, changed the oil & filter, air filter, cleaned the throttle body, flushed the cooling system, installed new spark plugs, wires, and cleaned the distributor cap and inspected for cracks, inspected rotor, replaced upper radiator hose, installed new front torque strut, and checked all fluid levels.

I went to check and set the ignition timing, and noticed it was no where near the timing marks. I could not even get it near the TDC mark let alone the (If I remember correctly) 15* it should be set at. I then proceeded to check the cam timing. Sure enough, it was off one tooth. I corrected the cam timing and set the ignition timing.

Now we can get to the over heating. It overheats under two conditions. Either idling, or when accelerating. The heat works fine. it doesn't overheat when idling with the heat on.

Here is what I know. The radiator flows fine. I bled the cooling system. I took out the thermostat & tested it, it's fine. The water pump is new, as I saw when setting the cam timing correctly. The cam timing is definitely spot on, as with the ignition timing. The upper radiator hose is hot, and the lower is warm. DTCs 1 & 43. Both cooling fans operate correctly. The temp gauge will read halfway normally, and approx. two needle's widths under the red mark when "overheating."

I am thinking *maybe* he installed the head gasket wrong. I know on a lot of engines, if the "front" of the head gasket is not at the front of the motor, it will block off cooling passages.

I think this is about all I can say.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2007, 12:00 AM
jdmaccord00
Unregistered
Default RE: 1990 Accord overheating.

I had an overheating problem with my old 97 accord
My problem was due to the fact the switch that turned on my main cooling fan wasnt working properly so it would not always turn on when it needed to
All i did was ride with the a/c on because that turned on the secondary fan and that kept my engine pretty cool

id recomend taking to a honda shop and getting a full diagnostic that way you would know everything thats wrong with it and they could tell you why its overheating

Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i would install a Honda t-stat and also chk the radiator cap ..also chk this out

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/OVE...m_20999/tm.htm

Old 12-02-2007, 12:33 PM

wow, awesome info there.